Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet Connection is inconsistent -- yet there's a pattern

• Please log in to reply

moserbr

moserbr

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Lately, I've been having problems with my internet connection. [First of all, my desktop is connected by ethernet to my Windstream router, but the problem persists on wireless devices as well]. The problem is that most of the time I click on a link, a bookmark, or type in a web address, I get the standard "Problem Loading Page" error, as though I have no connection. However, if I wait a few moments, and try again, or continuously click the "try again" button, it will eventually load. It seems to be a consistent issue across not only different browsers, but multiple devices (desktops, wireless laptops, PS3 web browser, etc).

What's really strange to me is that if I search for something on Google, I have no trouble getting all the results to pull up, or to scroll through the pages. Yes, Google always loads for me just fine . . . But try and open up one of the resulting websites? "Problem Loading Page." I hit try again several times and/or wait a few moments, and it eventually comes up. Why would Google.com always function perfectly, and other websites not?

I'm also able to stream video just fine (MLB.tv, netflix), with decent speed and no more dropouts and disconnects than I would expect from a system running fine.

I feel crazy claiming that certain websites always work, and that some don't -- and that the problem is on my end -- but I'm convinced by now :)

Any suggestions at all? Thank you to anyone in advance!

Please let me know if I can provide any additional information.

Edited by moserbr, 23 June 2010 - 08:10 PM.

Advertisements

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
Hello moserbr and welcome to Geeks to Go! :)

I've seen it on occasions. Though most of them were related to malware.
Does google give you the right results? Or do the sites try to redirect you?
Also, what ISP do you use? How long has this been happening?
And last but not least; Does this happen as well if you take away the Router and connect directly to the modem?

Regards,
Olrik

moserbr

moserbr

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for the help, Artellos, and sorry it took me awhile to respond.

I've seen it on occasions. Though most of them were related to malware.
I don't think that's it. My desktop is rather new, and I've been attentive to running frequent scans -- plus it's the exact same internet behavior on multiple computers. So, possible, but unlikely.

Does google give you the right results? Or do the sites try to redirect you?
It performs just as expected. Results look completely normal, and after eventually loading these pages, they work fine.

Also, what ISP do you use? How long has this been happening?
Windstream. I'm actually back visiting my family here, where this is happening, and they aren't sure when it started exactly.

And last but not least; Does this happen as well if you take away the Router and connect directly to the modem?
Haven't really tried this yet because, frankly, I'm a little confused. I've got a small black adapter plugged directly into a wall socket, with an ethernet cord coming out of it, connected to the wireless router (which is how my desktop is connected to the internet, via ethernet connection to the wireless box).