Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

your opinion on two graphics cards

• Please log in to reply

Caffeine_Powered

Caffeine_Powered

• PipPipPip
  • 475 posts
Haven't been GTG in awhile but figured since I'm putting a new system together I'd stop by and get some opinions.

Which card do you guys prefer between the GTX 470 and the ATI HD 5850? In benchmarks it seems to flip flop back and forth where one is amazing and the other is bad and vice versa. Generally ATI runs cooler and uses less power and nVidia runs hotter and uses more power but gives you better raw performance. Then there's the whole ATI drivers thing which is becoming less and less an issue by the day (or so it would seem).

I'm not really partial to one company over the other I just figure I'd get an opinion or two. I'm leaning alittle bit towards the 5850 but the price difference really isn't much (about 30 bucks).

The cards I were looking at were:

5850 and GTX 470

Both lifetime warranties :)

So yeah any advice or first hand experience which one to go with would be great.

by the way I'm actually building two systems:

one i7 940 based and the other Phenom II x4 965 both 4 gigs of RAM (possibly 6 on the i7 tri channel vs budget)

Edited by Caffeine_Powered, 24 June 2010 - 12:22 AM.

Advertisements

wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
Hello

Both of these cards are good but i'm more of an Nvidia fan so i'd go for the GTX 470 however the 5850 is an amazing card and from what i've seen the ATI cards out perform Nvidia cards.

I have also had problems at times with Nvidia drivers blue screening and have yet to see ATI cards do this.

I hope this helps in some way.

Edited by wizzy2k5, 24 June 2010 - 03:58 AM.