Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Vista Freezing

• Please log in to reply

fayezy

fayezy

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
I'm trying to fix my sisters laptop, the system starts up, I am able to log into windows then once on the desktop after 30 seconds or so the system freezes (still allowing me to move the cursor) and i cannot get into anything, the keyboard will not work. I've booted in safe mode and the system stays stable- i've also had the blue screen of death a couple of times. Is there anything in safe mode I can do to try and fix this problem?

Thanks all

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Download BlueScreenView
No installation required.
Double click on BlueScreenView.exe file to run the program.
When scanning is done, go Edit>Select All.
Go File>Save Selected Items, and save the report as BSOD.txt.
Open BSOD.txt in Notepad, copy all content, and paste it into your next reply.

Thanks to Broni for the instructions and program

If the above does not work then do the following.

Please follow the steps below to enter the Event Viewer program in Vista. This will give me more information into what is causing your issue. You can get to Event viewer two ways and I will post both for you.

Method One
• Go to
• Start
• In the Search box type in Event Viewer in the search box and press Enter
• From this point you can follow from step four from the below method as they will be the same.
Method Two
• Go to Start
• Right click on the Computer Icon and select Manage
• Navigate to the Event Viewer, You will be prompted to accept the action you are going to perform. Click continue
• On the left window pane click on Local and then expand the Windows entry. This will allow you to see every error for the past 24 hours as well as the last 7 days in the right window pane.
• Look for the ones that correspond to the times that your issue occurred.
• If any are found please double click and expand the error. This will open and give you more information on the error.
• Please include that in your next reply.

Edited by rshaffer61, 24 June 2010 - 12:34 PM.

fayezy

fayezy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
thanks for your help, i cannot do the bluescreen in safe mode but ive attached some print screens of the even viewer. let me know if you need anything.

http://i573.photobuc...ite/screen5.jpg

http://i573.photobuc...ite/screen4.jpg

http://i573.photobuc...ite/screen3.jpg

http://i573.photobuc...ite/screen2.jpg

http://i573.photobuc...ite/screen1.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• screen_1.jpg
  • screen_2.jpg
  • screen_3.jpg
  • screen_4.jpg
  • screen_5.jpg

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK not much onfo included in these screenshots. Let's try some basic steps to see if we can find the issue.
Go Start and then to Run ("Start Search" in Vista),
Type in: sfc /scannow
Click OK (Enter in Vista).
Have Windows CD/DVD handy.
If System File Checker (sfc) finds any errors, it may ask you for the CD/DVD.
If sfc does not find any errors in Windows XP, it will simply quit, without any message.
In Vista you will receive the following message: "Windows resource protection did not find any integrity violations".

For Vista users ONLY: Navigate to C:\Windows\Logs\CBS folder. You'll see CBS.log file.
Usually, it's pretty big file, so upload it to Flyupload, and post download link.

If you don't have Windows CD....
This applies mostly to Windows XP, since Vista rarely requires use of its DVD while running "sfc"
Note This method will not necessarily work as well, as when using Windows CD, because not always ALL system files are backed up on your hard drive. Also, backed up files may be corrupted as well.

Go Start and then Run
type in regedit and click OK

Navigate to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup

You will see various entries Values on the right hand side.

The one we want is called: SourcePath

It probably has an entry pointing to your CD-ROM drive, usually D and that is why it is asking for the XP CD.
All we need to do is change it to: C:
Now, double click the SourcePatch setting and a new box will pop up.
Change the drive letter from your CD drive to your root drive, usually C:
Close Registry Editor.

Now restart your computer and try sfc /scannow again!

Thanks to Broni for the instructions

fayezy

fayezy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
sorry its taking so long to reply, i'm having to transfer everything to my laptop :) The upload isnt working on the link you gave me, is there another way?

Thanks

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
What link and upload?
The blue screen viewer you said would not work so I posted the next steps to do with the sfc /scannow.

fayezy

fayezy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
"For Vista users ONLY: Navigate to C:\Windows\Logs\CBS folder. You'll see CBS.log file.
Usually, it's pretty big file, so upload it to Flyupload, and post download link"

Flyupload directs to easyupload and it will not complete the upload of the cbs.log

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
No problem, did you see if sfc replaced or repaired anything during its working?

Go to Start then to Run
Type in compmgmt.msc and click Enter
On left side click on Disk Management
On right side you will see you hard drive.
Now I need you to take a screenshot and attach it to your next reply. Do the following to take a screenshot while the above is open and showing on your desktop.

To do a screenshot please have click on your Print Screen on your keyboard. It is normally the key above your number pad between the F12 key and the Scroll Lock key
Now go to Start and then to All Programs
Scroll to Accessories and then click on Paint
In the Empty White Area click and hold the CTRL key and then click the V
Go to the File option at the top and click on Save as
Save as file type JPEG and save it to your Desktop

Attach it to your next reply

fayezy

fayezy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
I hope this is right... as attached. Thanks

Attached Thumbnails

• screen_6.jpg

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Part of the Window is cut off. What is the free space left on the C partition?

fayezy

fayezy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
i actually cannot get into the desktop now. I load in safemode and get the blue screen, flashes on and off, I cannot read the error (Unmountable something..) if I reboot in recover mode it freezes for 5 mins the I get blue screen STOP: 0X00008086 and the same if I boot in normal windows mode.. I cant do anything :) I dont have any recovery CD's either... anything I can do?