Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Storm=hard time connecting to web

• Please log in to reply

southsidedave

southsidedave

• Pip
  • 6 posts
There was a storm 3 nights ago, when I "woke" my computer, it could not access the internet. I replaced the router and all was well. Then 2 nights ago, new storm, same problem. BUT I figured out that waking the computer somehow was not enough to get online, so after a full restart the internet was right there. Last night, no storm, woke the computer and could not access the net, restarted the computer and here I am.

I run a dell 530, vista home, have cable that runs our tv, phone and internet ( all areas are working except internet)the new router is an intelent, the old router was a lynex. We run my desk top and 2 other computers wireless. When the desktop does get the internet, the wireless computers don't either.

Note: all the lights on the router and the modem seem to be running normally at all times.

Please Help.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
shut down your computer (and any computer's connected to the router), unplug the power from the router, and unplug the power from the modem. wait a couple of minutes, plug in the power to the modem, wait another couple of minutes (wait till all the lights stabilize), then plug in the router, wait another couple of minutes (wait till all the lights stabilize), then turn on your computer that connects directly to the router. internet connection working now?

southsidedave

southsidedave

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

shut down your computer (and any computer's connected to the router), unplug the power from the router, and unplug the power from the modem. wait a couple of minutes, plug in the power to the modem, wait another couple of minutes (wait till all the lights stabilize), then plug in the router, wait another couple of minutes (wait till all the lights stabilize), then turn on your computer that connects directly to the router. internet connection working now?

It does work, but then I "sleep" the computer and "wake" it and the desktop computer that is directly wired to the router will not access the web, but the other wireless computers will. I did you steps twice, followed by the "sleep-wake" and same results?