Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Word2002 won't install on Vista Basic

• Please log in to reply

EnsignRedShirt

EnsignRedShirt

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi,

I'm trying to install Word2002 (from Works2006) on a Dell Inspiron 1501 running Vista Home Basic (upgrade from XP Home). I have tried to install in Safe Mode, Run As Admin on the Works setup exe, the Word setup exe, and nothing installs. It was installed under XP and stopped working "a few days ago" according to the owner. I suspect it's been not working for longer than that and the original problem was described as the optical drive not working.

Works fails with a 1033 error. Word fails with a 1406 error and tells me that the account doesn't have permission to access the Registry, the account is an Admin.

I tried using the FixIt for me program from KB 878683, but it also fails with error code 2738.

I tried to access the Office folder as the KB article suggested, but Application Data is not accessible.

I've uninstalled all the registry cleaners that were installed.

AVG is running, but I'm thinking that removing it and running a scan with MSE might be a good idea.

Any suggestion would be welcome.

Thanks, EnsignRedShirt

Advertisements

EnsignRedShirt

EnsignRedShirt

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
After a few more hours on this issue, I finally gave up and installed Word 2000. It installed fine. Still wonder why Word 2002 would install on XP Home but not Vista Basic.

EnsignRedShirt

mikeloeven

mikeloeven

• PipPipPip
  • 305 posts
did you try using the run as administrator command on the installer??? i know word 2003 will not install on vista unless you run the launcher as administrator and or disable uac prior to instalation

EnsignRedShirt

EnsignRedShirt

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Yes tried Run as Admin on all the installers I could find. I gave it back a few days ago, and the owner is thinking about doing a backup of her files and getting Win7 Premium and replacing Vista. Seems there are other programs that won't install either, I suspect registry damage from the upgrade and some of the registry "cleaners" installed on the laptop.

Thanks for the reply!
EnsignRedShirt

mikeloeven

mikeloeven

• PipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Yes tried Run as Admin on all the installers I could find. I gave it back a few days ago, and the owner is thinking about doing a backup of her files and getting Win7 Premium and replacing Vista. Seems there are other programs that won't install either, I suspect registry damage from the upgrade and some of the registry "cleaners" installed on the laptop.

Thanks for the reply!
EnsignRedShirt

did you try disabling uac completely using msconfig installing the software and than re enabling uac

EnsignRedShirt

EnsignRedShirt

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Nope, didn't think about UAC. But Word 2000 will do the job for now. We'll see how it goes with Win7, or going back to XP eventually.

ERS

mikeloeven

mikeloeven

• PipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Nope, didn't think about UAC. But Word 2000 will do the job for now. We'll see how it goes with Win7, or going back to XP eventually.

ERS

the sad thing about vista and 7 is that they claim they are making things easier and they are infact it has gotten to the point where retarted monkeys can now use computers but in making it so retarted monkeys cant break things they made it a real pain in the [bleep] to change any of the really important settings unless your in a domain or really clever. microsoft has come down with apple syndrome