Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

motherbored problem ?

• Please log in to reply

skitzodancer

skitzodancer

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
ok so this is my first post but i knoww you peeps will help me.

i purchased some new parts the other day and installed them and it wont work.

the parts i bought are:

4gb corsair dominator ddr2 1066mhz ram (2x2gb)
intel pentium dual core cpu @ 2.6ghz
500gb wd 5000rpm hdd
nvidia g210 512mb gpu
Asus P5G41C-M LX
coolermasters v8 cpu cooler
550w antec modular psu

i have put everything into the case, and turn it on and it boots for about a second and turns off.

so i thought this would be a faulty psu... ive tried it with my 750w corsair psu from my gaming rig and it still doesnt work, so i reinstalled the antec psu and connected the cooler hd optical drive direct to psu and used a jumper cable and all compenents run fine

so it is the motherbored that faulty ? right ?

if it helps when i installed the mother bored, the led on it was flashing for some unknown reason and i turned the psu on and off and it stayed on

thanks in advance for your help

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Hi, welcome to Geeks

You May have a short on the Mobo..

Is the case old? Do the stand offs match you board?

Is the case new? Have you screwed the stand offs to the case to match the holes in your Mobo? Usually 6.

Have you connected the 12v AUX to the 4 pin header? Usually top left on the Mobo.

skitzodancer

skitzodancer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
everything from the psu is connected properly... ive double and triple checked that

the case is brand new bought it with the parts... it supports micro atx (which the mother bored is) and is inserted correctly

i am considering taking it to peices and rebuilding it on the mother bored box to eliminate the chance of itt being a short.

i looked online and found some places suggesting it could be a faulty cpu which is over heating ??? i dont see how it would be possible due to it being on for a second, but thought id bring it up :)

skitzodancer

skitzodancer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
ive just tested the mother bored out of the case and the problem is still there.... now what, im considering taking this back to the supplier to exchange as it appears to have a case of deadsies

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Did you do the bench test properly?
====================================================

Hook up the very basics, a "bench test":

* Remove the motherboard from the case and place it on a piece of cardboard
* Install only the CPU with heatsink and fan (remember to use thermal paste and plug in the fan)
* Install only 1 stick of ram in dimm 1 (consult your motherboard manual for which slot is to be used)
* Hook up the Power Supply (there should be a 20 or 24pin connector, and a 4 or 8pin connector)
* Use onboard video, (if not available, use a video card)
* Use any momentary case switch, or have your case close enough to install it's case switch
* Make sure there is a case speaker connected, many modern motherboards have a onboard speaker
* Connect a ps2 mouse and keyboard along with the monitor
* Power the system on

DO NOT hook up the hard drive, CD/DVD, case fans, lights, or anything else not mentioned above.

If the system does not power on, replace the 1 stick of RAM with the other stick. Are you getting any kind of beep codes? Do you get any video? Can you get to the BIOS? (Consult motherboard manual on how to enter the BIOS for your motherboard) Do the fans remain on, but no video?
======================================================

Did you apply thermopaste to the CPU and heatsink?

skitzodancer

skitzodancer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
i did apply thermal paste with the cpu cooler...

i didnt have my hdd connected or disc drive, however i didnt have the speaker connected so i will try that later and see if there are any beeps and tell post that later.

if there is no beeps what then ? and what if there are beeps ?

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
Beeps if any will help you to know what might be the problem why your motherboard is not starting up.

Possible reasons for a mobo not to start at all:

Faulty motherboard, short motherboard, not connected properly MOBO
Faulty CPU, not compatible CPU
Faulty RAM, not compatible RAM
Faulty PSU

skitzodancer

skitzodancer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
thanks for your help so far people... im in the process of taking the system to peices to make sure there are no wrong/loose connections

i seem to have localized the problem

i plug in the 24pin connector and plug this into my motherbored, then wire up the switch and it will turn on..... i then turn the system off and connect the 4 pin connector and then try to boot and this is when the problem starts... ive tried this with two psu's and the problem persists.

is this unsolvable or could the cpu be shorting out ?

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Been to the Asus site, to check PSU and ram compatibility, but the link for your board appears not to work. found this site with some information, http://www.auspcmark...put[category_id]= also read some reviews with problems. some say the board needs an EATX PSU, don't know if that has something to do with the AUX 12v 4 pin? Also board is very picky about the ram.

Have you tried startup WITHOUT the video card and just the onboard VGA?

You did not say if you got any beeps when your system did start.

skitzodancer

skitzodancer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Been to the Asus site, to check PSU and ram compatibility, but the link for your board appears not to work. found this site with some information, http://www.auspcmark...put[category_id]= also read some reviews with problems. some say the board needs an EATX PSU, don't know if that has something to do with the AUX 12v 4 pin? Also board is very picky about the ram.

Have you tried startup WITHOUT the video card and just the onboard VGA?

You did not say if you got any beeps when your system did start.

iv tried without the video card and still no luck :)

when i try to boot the system it is on for a second or less so there is no time to beep... but i can boot fine without the four pin connector.

im considering taking it back to the supplier.... its clearly faulty right ?

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Some more info.

Use DDR3 memory modules on the black slots and DDR2 memory modules on the blue slots." Are you using the blue slots.
When you put the CPU in did you bend any pins? It is easy to do. You might want to check that.

This is what I found on the QVL (qualified vendor list)

CORSAIR XMS2-6400 1024MB DS
timing 4

CORSAIR XMS2-6400 1024MB DS
timing 5

CORSAIR CM2X2048-6400C5DHX 4096MB(Kit of 2) DS
timing 5

CORSAIR CM2X2048-6400C5 4096MB(Kit of 2) DS
timing 5

EDIT: Missed these.

CORSAIR
TWIN2X4096-8500C5D G
4096MB(Kit of 2)
DS
5-5-5-15
2.10V

CORSAIR
TWIN2X4096-8500C7 G
4096MB(Kit of 2)
DS
7-7-7-20
2.00V

Edited by 123Runner, 26 June 2010 - 05:06 AM.

skitzodancer

skitzodancer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
I HAVE SORTED IT !!!!!!!!!!!!

i took it back to the supplier (scan) they tested it and came to the same conclusion as me... its broke, they supplied me with a new bored and i have just installed it and its working :) :) :)

THANSK FOR YOUR HELP PEOPLE :) :) :) :P :D :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
I was also considering the board, but we wanted to be sure we looked at everything.

Congratulations. :) for a successful resolution for your issue. I am happy everything has been worked out for you. With that being said I am happy to say:

You are very welcome. I'm glad we could help and please let us know how everything works out for you.
If there is anything else we can do to help please feel free to ask. I appreciate that you allowed me to assist you with your issue and for your patience. Thank you for choosing GeeksToGo for help. :) :)
This issue now appears to be resolved.

If other members are reading this and have a similar problem please begin a New Topic and someone will assist you as soon as possible