Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Power on problem

• Please log in to reply

SugarMuff

SugarMuff

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi,
This problem only started when I upgraded my mobo/cpu (gigabyte K8NXP-9/64 3500+) that it would turn on ok, but then if I turned it off and tried turning it on again, nothing would happen and then after 5 minutes just turn on by itself.
Recently however, it will only turn on by some stroke of luck. When it does turn on, it seems to be perfectly happy. All the voltages are nominal and there is no instability. My first thought was that it was my power supply but I used my current one (500W codegen) with my old mobo and it worked fine..
Has anyone seen this problem before or know how to fix it? Is it just a dud mobo?

Thanks!

Advertisements

TiMBuS

TiMBuS

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I had a slightly similar problem, and it turned out to be the case shorting out the button. Have you tried booting using a direct jump (ie have you put a screwdriver on the two 'boot up' motherboard pins?) If it works every time with a direct jump, maybe your case has a bad connection that your new motherboard can't detect. Just a suggestion. Try hooking your reset button to the boot pins. see what happens when you use your restart button as a power button.

SugarMuff

SugarMuff

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Timbus,
Thanks for the suggestion. I gave it a try, but no luck. The case shorting out the button wouldn't explain the delayed startup that I mentioned earlier. Keep the suggestions coming though.. I'm willing to try anything at this stage!

TiMBuS

TiMBuS

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hm. Seems quite problematic. So the motherboard doesn't boot when directly jumped (aka putting a bit of metal -like a screwdriver- between the pins)?

odd indeed. Maybe you have dud pins on the board, or it has been exposed to moisture, which could explain the erattic behaviour. But that would usually mean something else wouldn't work.
Well try direct jumping it a few times and see how that goes. Check for consistancy.
note: you only have to jump the boot pins for a few seconds - dont hold the screwdriver/metal item there!

SugarMuff

SugarMuff

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Timbus,
Yeah, i gave it a good try, but it ain't working. I've done direct jumping before, but I think it's something else. I'm starting to think it's a PSU problem. I'll have to try some more in the morning. Thanks again for the help..

TiMBuS

TiMBuS

• Pip
  • 7 posts
lol i didnt exactly help.

well try another PSU, but if it works fine with the old mobo, then it should be fine... however computers, like women, just dont make sense sometimes.
So try another PSU.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

Thanks for the suggestion. I gave it a try, but no luck. The case shorting out the button wouldn't explain the delayed startup that I mentioned earlier. Keep the suggestions coming though.. I'm willing to try anything at this stage!

A case short can do many unexplained things I agree with TiMBuS that this is a possibility you should check it out before giving up on the mobo.

I was just on the Codegen website and they don't list a 500w model and don't give specs on the models they do have, I also believe they are of low quality for your system so I will check it out if you could post the amps listed on a decal on the side of the psu
List the 12v, 3.3v, and 5v.

Make sure the 4 pin 12v connector from the psu to the mobo is installed

Rick

Edited by Doby, 23 May 2005 - 06:50 PM.

SugarMuff

SugarMuff

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Rick,
I have now confirmed that it was the PSU. I hooked my mobo up to a very cheap 400W PSU and it seems to turn on without any trouble.
For your reference though, the Codegen PSU is actually 550W. The 12V is 18A, 3.3V is 35A and 5V is 50A. Something that's interesting to note is that there is a typo on the decal. "AC INDUT".. so much for their quality control.. I bought this one as a replacement for my Enermax 430W which was giving me problems from day 1. As soon as I put this one in for my old mobo, my system was so much more stable..

Do you have any recommendations regarding the next PSU I buy? I'm sick of having to buy new ones all the time.. I just want a good one that will last me for at least 5 years.

Thanks for your help, Rick!

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Ok a psu with 18amps on the 12v is ok occording to amd specs for a amd 64 system however most users over at Abit and Amd forums report that at least amps in the mid 20's is needed and I tend to agree because even the socket A systems I build have a psu with 12v amps in the 20's

The enermax 430 should have been a very good psu guess it was just a bad one, it happens.

Here is the psu I have been using for socket A, note its amps.

Here is the psu I have been using for amd 64 system but if you check out the specs newegg has them listed wrong so click on manufactuers site to see the correct ones.

Here is also a psu I use for amd 64 systems I especially like it because of the modulare cabe design looks real good with window cases

Go here for ultas specs note its amps.

Hope this helps you and others see the kind of power todays highend cpu,mobo's and video cards need.

Rick