Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP problem

• Please log in to reply

benny244

benny244

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
I've actually had this laptop for a while, and it worked okay for a long time. But when I bought it, it was sold to me on the understanding that there would be no support. I guess the tech department didn't want people to keep on bringing the laptops back in to be fixed, which is understandable I suppose (and they were being sold off very cheaply). But I think maybe I'll go into work tomorrow and ask the tech people if they'll help me...

Cheers
Ben

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Suggestion... contact Dell and see about purchasing a set of recovery disks.
This will format and reinstall the original software just as the system was brand new. The system can then be reregistered under you with no problem.

benny244

benny244

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Hi again. Thanks very much for all the suggestions so far.

I have now obtained a Windows XP disk from the tech people at work (to whom I'm very grateful!). Bearing in mind that there is absolutely nothing saved on the hard drive of this machine that I give a [bleep] about losing (the laptop is mostly just used for surfing the internet, and all my files are saved on my other machine), would it be best to just start from scratch and do a fresh installation? And if so, would someone be kind enough to tell me how I go about doing that...?!

Cheers
Ben

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
On the laptop there should be a sticker probably on the bottom that will tell you what version of XP was originally installed on the system. Is the disk you have the same type...Home, Media or Pro?
If so you can do a format and fresh install which would wipe everything out. After that you will most likely have to download all the drivers for that model laptop.
You can go to HERE to read the tutorial by one of the members here on how to do a Fresh Install or Repair Installation of you OS.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,526 posts
You did not do this yet!

On the bottom of the laptop is a service tag. Use the service tag and go to the Dell site. It will give you all the info on your computer as it was originally shipped. If you have changed the OS, then this info will be wrong.

Or get us the service tag and we can do it because there is still the question of home, media, or pro.

benny244

benny244

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Just a quick one to say thanks for all the suggestions, which I tried, but ended up getting confused, so went in search of professional help! The laptop now works again, and the guy who fixed it didn't charge me much, so I'm very happy. Thanks again for your assistance.

Cheers
Ben

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
What was the resolution if you don't mind me asking?
It may help someone else later with the same issue. I am glad to hear you got it resolved.
Congratulations. :) for a successful resolution for your issue.

You are very welcome. I'm glad we could help and please let us know how everything works out for you.
If there is anything else we can do to help please feel free to ask. I appreciate that you allowed us to assist you with your issue and for your patience.
Thank you for choosing GeeksToGo for help. :) :)
This issue now appears to be resolved.