Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Master Boot Record is corrupt (I think)

• Please log in to reply

Evening Sunlight

Evening Sunlight

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I'm running a Dell Vostro 1500 with Vista Business, original spec except I expanded the RAM to 4GB.

Left running overnight, it was frozen when I got up, I restarted it, it commenced a disk check and then I had a power outage.

Since that point, I got a quick flash of BSOD for a fraction of a second, and it refuses to boot up. The Recovery Disk Start Up Repair cannot repair, my restore points have vanished, as has my last known good configuration details. Basically my Master Boot Record has corrupted, or one of the drivers has corrupted (Safe mode boot stops at crcdisk.sys and then it restarts sending me in a loop). Safe mode, with or without options is not available for me.

The hardware checks out okay (by both me and Dell), but I received the message that the System Volume is corrupt. Since that initial hardware check, my warranty has expired!

Bootrec did not work, and the Recovery command prompt cannot even find the c: installation of Vista even though the initial start up repair can find it.

I really do not want to reinstall from scratch, as I have customer files, trade files, turbolister, and files essential for me to get paid at the end of the month. My back up is out of date (my fault I know) but I know there are just one or two files that were destroyed by the dskchk crashing that I need to replace. I have seen other solutions around the web that I tried and didn't work, or that I didn't understand how to try. I am fairly pc-literate, but please could someone help me

in simpe terms, assuming I'm a lot thicker than what I am. After all, you know what they say about a little knowledge being a dangerous thing.

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
Did you try the Windows Vista "Startup Repair"?
http://www.bleepingc...utorial148.html

If that fails, you might try a non-destructive clean install:
http://www.zdnet.com...ean-install/193

Evening Sunlight

Evening Sunlight

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Yeah, as I stated to begin with, the Start Up Repair couldn't fix it. You should have seen the look of horror on my face when that happened!

I like that clean install idea with saving everything to a Windows Old folder (thanks for that, it's taken the sense of pressure away), but is that my only option? There are programs that I no longer have the disks for, and ones with limited keys, such as SAM Broadcaster. Is there an easy way I could import these across between the folders, or is it a matter of reinstalling everything one by one?

The annoying thing is I know I have registry back ups as well in the original My Documents. Can they be used at all? This area is a little new to me.

Coupled with the registry back-up, can I then use the old program files?

Evening Sunlight

Evening Sunlight

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Using Partition Tabole Doctor, I have now repaired my partitions and totally lost my Vista installation apparently. NTLDR is now missing, and when I use Hiren's Boot CD 10.5 to sort this, it tells me that the driver <windows root>\system32\hal.dll is missing.

So, any suggestions before I try the http://www.zdnet.com...ean-install/193 solution?

Edited by Evening Sunlight, 26 June 2010 - 04:12 PM.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
The 'non-destructive clean install' would be my next step.

Evening Sunlight

Evening Sunlight

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
It may have to be. After using the Partition Table Doctor, it rather looks like I have lost everything, as Acronis Recovery Expert seems unable to find any files at all. :)