Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Severe CPU spikes

• Please log in to reply

TiMBuS

TiMBuS

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Blaugh.

I just went out and bought me a 6600GT. A good one, with DDRIII (not that pathetic 'gamers edition' card) I dont know why it only uses a 128 bit memory interface, when my 9800 pro uses a 256 bit one.. and is slower. Well thats just an on-the-side ramble. Back to the problem: CPU usage. ill do an ascii chart of my taskmon readout: /\__/``\/\__/\/\/\_/\_/\/\/ ... I think you get the point. In fact every now and then text stops appearing as I write up this very topic.
I've noted that svchost is spiking severely, and another thing.. CnxDslTb.exe is also CPU burning. I think thats a dsl modem driver.
Pandascanned, Hijacked this. All that, I have nothing. It seems to be directly related to HDTV output on my card. I dont use HDTV tho.
Oddly enough I was applying a system attribute, and svchost.exe.20050320-1424-00hdmp 'cannot be updated - access denied.' Its not a prefatch or anything. What the... do I do to fix this problem?

Advertisements

TiMBuS

TiMBuS

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Updatified: Seems that I have malware - and its something quite advanced. Seems that the spikes only occur while I'm online. Hijackthis has -nothing- unaccounted for. So I got rootkited. Anyone got a useful program or two, to pinpoint and eradicate this highly unwanted guest?

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
you should take this to the malware removal forum but read the instructions for that forum.

Rick

TiMBuS

TiMBuS

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Ok, I've gotten rid of the virus.. It was inside the driver I got with the video card - thats pretty hardcore. If the guy who made the trojan got hold of my computer thru a driver I'd be completely screwed.
There were other factors causing additional lag, but its all been solved.

Closed?