Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Help me get my DVD/CD writer working again

• Please log in to reply

Soul Forge

Soul Forge

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
The problem is simply that i can't open my dvd/cd writer by pressing the eject button, nor can i find the drive in "My Computer".

I upgraded various components early this year including a PSU, Motherboard, Ram and video card, but i never had to use my writer until now (nor did i think to test it out back then). Everything else seems compatible and in working order, including my dvd-rom that is just below my writer. And in case you were wondering, yes, it did work before the upgrade.

Pleas help me, computer gurus.

Thank you

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,767 posts
Try any, or all four of the following:
  • Uninstall the drive in Device Manager and then Reboot. The drive will be automatically reinstalled.

or...

• http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060 and then Reboot.

or...

• Download and run Restore Missing CD Drive patch:

http://aumha.org/downloads/cdgone.zip

(Unzip cdgone.zip, right-click on cdgone.reg, click Merge, Accept, Reboot).

or...

• Go to Device Manager, click a "+" sign next to IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers. You'll see two items:

• ATA Channel0 (or Primary Channel)
  • ATA Channel1 (or Secondary Channel)
Right-click on each of them, and click Uninstall and Confirm. When you Reboot they'll be automatically reinstalled.

If the above does not help the CD/DVD drive is probably dead.

(Thanks to Broni for the instructions).

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP
If you can't open the tray by pushing the eject button, that indicates a power (or mechanical) problem. The tray mechanism runs off 12V and if not jammed, will open and close when pressing the button even when the power connector is the ONLY cable connected to the drive. Seeing if the tray will open and close is how I test that power is getting to the optical drives.

So opening the tray with the eject button has nothing to do with drivers, or Windows.

You need to verify you have power going to the drive. Make sure the connection is securely fastened, or better yet, try a different connector from the power supply.

To make sure the unit does have a mechanical problem, use a straightened paper clip and press it deep into the eject hole located in the front panel of the drive. Press it in until you feel it hitting something, then press a little harder to release the mechanism. The tray should pop open about a 1/2 inch where you can see if a disk is jammed. You should be able to pull open the tray completely and press it back to ensure the mechanism is still working properly.

Edited by Digerati, 26 June 2010 - 06:52 AM.