Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

best hard drive?

• Please log in to reply

d1122

d1122

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I need to Know If I can put a 120 GB hard drive in a latitude d400 1.4ghz 256MB or should I stay with a 40 or 60GB? It dosn't have one.Its used and came without one.Thank You

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Hi, welcome to Geeks.

I do not know a great deal about your laptop, whether it has sata drive or IDI.

Her is a link to Dell, your model http://support.dell....LAT_PNT_PM_D400

Bookmark the page for future ref. On this page is a link for system configuration. I think you can find the drive you want, then do a search for a better price.

What about an OS? Did the machine come with it pr-installed? or do you have installation CD?

Edited by iammykyl, 26 June 2010 - 12:49 AM.

FNP

FNP

• PipPipPip
  • 606 posts
d1122-

Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go! :)

It always helps to do a little digging. Here is a spec sheet for the Dell Latitude D400:

http://www.itema-pg.com/Promo/2008/DELL%20Noteboook%2022-7/d400_spec.pdf

It looks like you're best off using a smaller 40 GB or 60 GB IDE drive.

Hope that helps! Let me know if there's anything else I can do to assist you. :)

iammykyl-

It would help to use correct grammar and spelling when giving advice. Also, there is no such thing as an IDI drive. Make sure you double-check your research and spelling; we don't want to give bad advice. :)

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
There will be a service tag number on the bottom of the laptop.
If you get us the tag we can find out exactly how it was configured when it was new.

A couple things. The spec sheet that FNP referenced was recommending windows 2000, XP home SP1, or XP pro SP1.
Based on that I would say that it might not accept Vista or Windows 7.

Double Date Rate (DDR) SDRAM at 266MHz (PC2100); Standard - 128MB (shared)4; Maximum - 2.0GB (shared)4;
Memory module capacities - 128, 256, 512MB, and 1GB

The hard disk specs are "30GB EIDE/ATA-100; 40GB EIDE/ATA-100; 60GB EIDE/ATA-100".

123runner

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
I am sure those drive specs are for what Dell offered as options - the capacities have nothing to do with what the notebook can handle. In other words, you can put a 250Gb drive in there if you want, as long as it is EIDE and 2.5 inches so it will physically fit. You may need to ensure 48bit LBA is enabled in the BIOS to see more than 137Gb however - or partition it in another computer first.

You will also need to buy an operating system and I agree with 123Runner that Windows 7 may not support that older hardware. Alternatively, you can install Linux for free, if you choose.