Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Creative Audigy 2 SoundBlaster Card Drivers not working

• Please log in to reply

Noggy1

Noggy1

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hi

For the last two weeks now I have been without sound from my Windows XP O/S, then happened all of a sudden.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the driver many times, and each time brings the same result - no sound!!!

As a further check, I have a Linux operating system installed on a completely separate hard drive, and when I boot this operating system I have sound. Now, I do know that the drivers are different, but what it does tell that the sound card itself is not broken.

Looking at Device Manager, nothing is disabled, and all the properties look correct!

Each time I boot up my Windows XP O/S after a reinstall of the drivers, the speakers also boot up and I get the the usual hiss of power going to them. This to me from the past means they are okay. This only leads me to think there is either something wrong with the drivers or there is something wrong with Windows XP.

I have downloaded the last drivers from Creative from their website and even plugged in some headphones into the socket but nothing is working.

I have even carried out a system restore, but to no avail!

Does anyone have any answers, because I am clean out of ideas!

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Could it be as simple as you having the sounds in windows set to mute? Open up your sound icon in the system tray and check for any muted controls. It also may be that you set your sound to digital instead of analog. If necessary i have older SB audigy SE drivers on CD's that i can copy and send to you. But i have used the newest creative drivers with my old audigy cards with no problems.

SRX660

Noggy1

Noggy1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hi

I checked for the simple things such as mute and disabled and it is none of them.

It could be a problem with Windows XP O/S. Checking other application, I am starting to see error messages. For example, launching my Hauppauge WinTV, this wouldn't start, and returned an unhandled exception, which it has never done before. I am starting to think if there are files either in XP that are corrupted or missing. Is there a way to check this and fix them without having to carry out a complete reinstall?

I tried sfc/scannow and this didn't show anything?

Noggy1

Noggy1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I have completely reinstalled windows xp this evening, and after installing the latest drivers from Creative I am still getting the same problem. There were no problems installing the drivers.

Therefore, I uninstalled the drivers, and the card and went to use the original drivers from the CD, this threw an error saying that "Sound Blaster Card not installed". After this, I made sure there was no drivers installed and card was installed and rebooted the machine. After root Windows found Media Controller and Creative Games Port, and it started to install the drivers from the CD, but this did not cure the problem.

This is really strange, because I have done everything possible to fix this problem and nothing is working. On my other Hard Drive I have Ubuntu Linux, which of course uses the same sound card and I am getting sound via that operating system. What is blocking the sound? There are no wires unplugged and nothing is loose.

mclean

mclean

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Be sure you have the correct driver installed, then go to Windows Fit It site at: http://support.micro....com/fixit#tab0 Run the process for repairing sound systems to see if that fixes your problem. I used their site for repairing my two CD/DVD drives that did not work after being attacked by the AV Security Suite Trojan.