Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC Rebuild - Boot Problems

• Please log in to reply

Sparx1978

Sparx1978

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi there,

I wonder if anyone can help, I'm at my wits end! I'm basically bulding a new-ish pC for my mum but am using some new and some old components, I think i have everything connected properly and I know that the bits work as i have taken them from my old PC.

My problems is that when i go to install windows on the new HD, I seem to get through the set up, format the drive, create the partition but then I cannot get the pc to boot from the hard drive, it is set in BIOS to be the primary boot but all it does is say cannot boot from this device, I then get it to boot from the cd and it just runs through the same set up process.

Can anyone help please, it's driving me nuts!

Kind regards

Mark

Advertisements

Sparx1978

Sparx1978

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Sorted!!! Moved my SATA HD into a different port on the motherboard and voila!!

Still cant get my HD to show correctly tho, in bios it lists it as 250gb, but windows only recognises 140gb, any ideas?

Many thanks

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
Maybe it is partition and the other partition is not formated, check in your Disk Management to see if you have unallocated space on that HD, if you do then just format it and you should have an extra partition showing in My Computer

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts

Still cant get my HD to show correctly tho, in bios it lists it as 250gb, but windows only recognises 140gb, any ideas?

XP is known for this, tweakui should sort it out here is the link;
http://www.annoyance...ec/show/tweakui