Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Recovering laptop

• Please log in to reply

jeanke

jeanke

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Ok, a friend of mine has a Sony Vaio PCG-Z505SX.
The installed windows version is ME.
It crashed and it wont boot up anymore. It doesn't give an error message it just stops booting after the first windows screen and restarts all over.
There is no internal cdrom, only a pcmcia version.
The problem is that most of the files on the hard disk need to be saved before formatting and reďnstalling.
My normal list of options I would go through are:
1st) boot knoppix and copy all the files over a network onto another pc.
=> not possible because a pcmcia cd/dvd rom can not be bootable ( as far as I know ) and knoppix HAS to be booted.
2nd) hooking the laptop drive to my desktop pc through a convertor
=> I'm in another country right now and don't have the appropriate hardware with me.
3rd) Dos networking
=> laptop only has a pcmcia network card ( D-link DFE-690TXD ) available with no dos drivers to be found in order for it to work.
4th) Usb mass storage device in dos and copy everything on that one
=> don't have an usb drive at hand
And the only option i could think about now is :
Make a new partition or a separate folder and copy all the files that need to be saved in to there and reďnstall windows.
I simply don't like doing this because 50% of the time i do this most of the files simply get corrupted and/or removed.
So my basic question is, does anybody has any idea how to back up the files while keeping in mind the only bootable device is a floppy ( I can use the pcmcia cdrom in dos ofcourse ).

Advertisements

jeanke

jeanke

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Well, guess I'm not the only one who doesn't know what to do :tazz:.