Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Recovery Help

• Please log in to reply

mmmfloorpie

mmmfloorpie

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hey guys, I booted up my computer like normal this morning and then went out for a while. When I came back I had a "blue screen of death" so I just restarted. When I restarted, it got stuck in DOS and said "Win32" file is corrupt - load Windows from CD and select "r" for repair (or something like that). Anyways, I got my boot disk, loaded everything up on Windows Recovery fine and I'm currently at the "Examining 238418MB disk 0 at Id 0 on bus 0 on iastor..." I know that is referencing my hard drive, but it's been stuck here for about 3 hours now. I don't know whether it's still examining the hard drive or if it got stuck. I'm too scared to hit the restart button in case I screw it up.

If any one can give me some advice or tell me how long this thing is supposed to take, I'd really appreciate it!

The ironic thing is I just ordered a brand new computer online last night and today my old computer takes a crap!

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Unfortunately you are in somewhat of a catch 22 situation.
Obviously you cannot just leave it as it is.
If you stop it by forcing a shut down you may indeed end up with a further data corruption.
However that is unlikely.
Personally I would stop it.
Presuming you do NOT have a dos command screen at this stage. you will have to shut down.
It certainly should have shown progress by now.
ARE YOU USING A XP CD in Recovery Console, or the installation repair function from that OR the special recovery CD provided with some branded computers

mmmfloorpie

mmmfloorpie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Unfortunately you are in somewhat of a catch 22 situation.
Obviously you cannot just leave it as it is.
If you stop it by forcing a shut down you may indeed end up with a further data corruption.
However that is unlikely.
Personally I would stop it.
Presuming you do NOT have a dos command screen at this stage. you will have to shut down.
It certainly should have shown progress by now.
ARE YOU USING A XP CD in Recovery Console, or the installation repair function from that OR the special recovery CD provided with some branded computers

I'm using the reinstallation CD I got from Dell with the computer...

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
On those CD`s depending on the model there are usually two options.
One is the complete recovery installation which deletes ALL your data and restores the computer to the state in which it was sold.
The other, not on all CD`s from Dell is a recovery retaining all your personal data.
I have no way of knowing which you have other than going to the Dell site and searching the make and model and service tag of the computer. Pls do this yourself.
When you establish that I can then advise you further.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 26 June 2010 - 03:39 PM.

mmmfloorpie

mmmfloorpie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

On those CD`s depending on the model there are usually two options.
One is the complete recovery installation which deletes ALL your data and restores the computer to the state in which it was sold.
The other, not on all CD`s from Dell is a recovery retaining all your personal data.
I have no way of knowing which you have other than going to the Dell site and searching the make and model and service tag of thwe computer. Pls do this yourself.
When you establish that I can then advise you further.

Search for what exactly? I just restarted the stupid thing and the options are "To set up Windows XP now, hit enter" "To Repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R" "To quit without installing, press F3".

I hit "R" before!

Edited by mmmfloorpie, 26 June 2010 - 03:17 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Take the CD out.
Press F8 repeatedly on first startup and see if you have a boot option screen.

mmmfloorpie

mmmfloorpie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Take the CD out.
Press F8 repeatedly on first startup and see if you have a boot option screen.

Let's see, I have Safe mode, safe mode with networking, safe mode with command prompt, enable boot logging, enable VGA mode, last known good configuration, directory services restore mode, debugging mode, disable automatic restart on system failure, start windows manually, reboot, and return to OS choices menu.

Just FYI, the actual error I get is "The following file is missing: C:\Windows\system32\config\system You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows Setup using the original setup CD ROM - Select 'r' at the first screen"

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
You want to follow the instructions found here...
http://www.geekstogo...ws-XP-t138.html

mmmfloorpie

mmmfloorpie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

You want to follow the instructions found here...
http://www.geekstogo...ws-XP-t138.html

I get the same result when I press enter instead of r (as those instructions suggested). All it does is say "Examining 243000MB on drive 0 on iastor..." and it doesn't move from there!

I guess my biggest problem now is that I can never get past that screen so I can't even get into Recovery Console!

Edited by mmmfloorpie, 27 June 2010 - 07:25 AM.

mmmfloorpie

mmmfloorpie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Something I've been wondering, does the fact that the recovery says "examining 234800 MB drive" etc mean that my harddrive isn't fried?

One more thing, I tried the CD rom that came with my old computer and when I tried recovery, it said no hard disks were found. I have two hard drives on my computer, the one with the OS that I'm having the problems with, and another one with my back up. Why is it not reading the drives? Any thoughts?

Edited by mmmfloorpie, 27 June 2010 - 07:06 PM.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Are the drives SATA drives or IDE drives and what is commissioned in setup.
Enter setup usually F2 or delete on first post beep or screen and check if the drives are shown there and are correct

mmmfloorpie

mmmfloorpie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
They are SATA and I will check.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Do you have two separate hard drives OR a hard drive with two partitions. The main partition carrying windows and all programs etc and then a smaller partition with the Dell recovery on.
Press Ctrl and F11 on first post and see if recovery options exist, namely a NON destructive recovery.
http://www.goodells....store/fixes.htm

Edited by Macboatmaster, 28 June 2010 - 06:27 PM.

mmmfloorpie

mmmfloorpie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
2 seperate hard drives.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
If you have two hard drives and one has your backup. What is the backup, just your personal documents OR a complete image of the drive.
Go to setup please usually F2 or Delete, keep pressing immediately computer posts.
Are the hard drives shown in setup

Edited by Macboatmaster, 28 June 2010 - 06:44 PM.