Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Do I need explorer?

• Please log in to reply

itsnik

itsnik

• Pip
  • 1 posts
:tazz: Hi I have just installed firefox and wondered if I can delete explorer. Obviously I am a beginner and my puter is only 128ram, so if I can keep it freed up hopefuly it would be more efficient. The othe query I have is there seems to be too many programs running do I really need them all? And do I just have to ctrl alt del every time to stop them running. Sometimes when I do that I get an error msg either fata exception or illegal operation. Would be grateful for some advice thanks Nik

Advertisements

lalala

lalala

• Pip
  • 4 posts

:tazz: Hi I have just installed firefox and wondered if I can delete explorer.  Obviously I am a beginner and my puter is only 128ram, so if I can keep it freed up hopefuly it would be more efficient.  The othe query I have is there seems to be too many programs running do I really need them all? And do I just have to ctrl alt del every time to stop them running. Sometimes when I do that I get an error msg either fata exception or illegal operation.  Would be grateful for some advice thanks Nik

View Post

You can uninstall IE. If you go to start > Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs > Add/Remove Windows components (on the left hand side) and uncheck the IE box, then click next and it should uninstall. If you want to delete the IE folder from program files, it usually wont allow you to do it. I suggest you install a program called "KillBox" (http://www.bleepingc...are/KillBox.zip). Once downloaded, type the location into the box (usually "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer" and select the option "delete on reboot", then click the red cross.

Alot of files running in windows task manager are necessary to keep your computer working, they can, I believe be stopped from running by disabling them in msconfig, but I don't know it's such a great idea you go through it if you don't know what you're doing as you could stop vital processes from running?! Sorry if I haven't been much help to you.

StarHawk

StarHawk

• PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
Hi itsnik.

as to

Alot of files running in windows task manager are necessary to keep your computer working, they can, I believe be stopped from running by disabling them in msconfig, but I don't know it's such a great idea you go through it if you don't know what you're doing as you could stop vital processes from running?!

If you do the following I'll help ya determine what is necessary for your computer and what is not. Backgroung processes like that can eat up system resources esp on old machine with not much resources anyway! ;)

If you have Spybot S&d installed open the program and be sure to change to advanced mode.
  • Click on Mode in the Spybots menu and choose Advanced Mode.
now I need you to
  • Click on Tools in Spybot's left panel and choose System Startup
  • Now click on Export above the right panel
  • A Save in Dialog window will pop up, choose a location you will remember to save this file in. I'd use the desktop so I can see it easily.
  • click Save
  • Add this file as an attachment to your next post.
  • Don't change anything here yet and exit spybot.
If you do that I'll examine this list of start up items and post here on which are needed and which are not, as well as show ya how to stop them from loading at system start up.

If you don't use spybot S&D seeDownload it, install it, update it, and then scan your system and let it fix all problems. And then follow my advice above.

Note also if you remove IE from your computer windows updates will be a problem for you if you need to update win 98 anymore. There's ways to use firefox and install updates but it's more complex. up to you. ;)

Hope this helps. :tazz:

marinegeek59

marinegeek59

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
hey dude hows it,you need to remember that many sites work only with a trident based web browser( ie,slim browser etc) firefox is a gecko based rendering engine....as for runninr process go to www.blackviper.com he shows what you can disable and what not to cheers keep fighting the good fight :tazz: