Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Notebook Failure, Can't Boot XP at all

• Please log in to reply

Noxno2

Noxno2

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
Hi, a while ago I recieved a second-hand notebook (a Toshiba Satellite PS500A-00WEV, according to the sticker on the back), which doesn't boot. When I start it up, it loads for about a minute, then comes to a black screen that says

"Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows Setup using the original Setup CD-ROM.
Select 'r' at the first screen to start repair."

At this point I can press anything, and it will start again, and whether I press 'r' or not it will always come back to this screen. I have a genuine Office XP Home disk I am using with it, using the notebook's own Legit Key. I can try to change the boot sequence at the starting screen by holding a button (I forgot which one), but whatever I choose I end up with the "windows could not find...." screen.

Also, I don't think I can get into the BIOS.

Can someone help me?

Advertisements

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
Keys to enter bios differ but try one of these DEL, F10, F2, F12

Noxno2

Noxno2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
F12 will bring me to the boot sequence screen, where I can choose from 5 pictures, the first being 3 disks stacked on top of each other, the second being just a disk, the third is a floppy disk, the fourth looks like to two connected computers and the fifth looks like a Hard drive. All of them take me back to the "windows could not find..." screen.

I've tried to boot off a USB with XP on it, as well as the XP disk, but nothing is working. Is there any way I can format the HDD, and start again?

I also think it's a Satellite 5000, as if I Google-Image search that I get pictures of it.

I really don't know why this isn't working.

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
I found this suggestion from another site on how to access the Bios

turn on while tappind 'esc', then choose 'f2' for setup, 'f12' for boot sequence.
Boot sequence is a little confusing, f5 and F6 move the boot devices up and down the priority order and if you put a ! in front of it, it ignores it!

So if this works and you want to boot from your XP disk then tap on F5 or F6 until your cd-rom (probably the image with just one disk) at the top of the line and make sure it does not have a ! in front of it then do the same for your Hard Drive so it will be the second in line.

Hope that helps

Edited by Alzeimer, 27 June 2010 - 09:21 PM.

Noxno2

Noxno2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
If I tap Escape while I turn it on I get a screen where it says "Press [F1] key for default setting.". Nothing else responds at that point except F1, which reboots the notebook. Also, at the boot sequence screen nothing else does anything except the left and right arrows and enter.

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
All the places I looked thay all say that for a Toshiba Satelite (different version) that you have to press F2 for Bios setup and F12 for Boot setup.

I tried to find a manual for a Toshiba Satelite 5000 but could not find one except a manual on how to remove parts none on how to enter Bios and its different options.

Sorry I could not help more, hopefully somebody else here will be able to help you.

For you to be able to format your HD is to boot from your CD-Rom and until you find a way to do that there is not much else you can do.

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
I found this hope it will help:

From Toshiba's Website:

This bulletin documents the several different methods for gaining access to the BIOS Setup feature of most models of Toshiba computers. These setting are stored in non-volatile CMOS memory, hence the alternative term "CMOS Setup". The settings are managed by a utility program built into the computer's BIOS (Basic Input/Output System).

For Toshiba desktop PCs and servers : Press and hold the F2 key immediately after turning the computer on (during the Power-on Self Test (POST)).

For Toshiba notebook PCs manufactured since the introduction of Windows XP, one or more of the following methods will be effective:

Toshiba Hardware utility method: Run the Toshiba Hardware utility from the Toshiba Console. It may also accessible (as 'HWSetup') from the Windows Control Panel. Changes to some of the settings will require re-starting the computer. This method is the only way to access the BIOS settings on some notebook PCs (Satellite 5000 series, for example). (For these machines, pressing and holding the F12 key immediately after powering-on the notebook will allow you to alter the notebook's boot priority.)

If the Toshiba Hardware utility is not present, try the F2 key method and the Esc key method (see below). The Toshiba Hardware utility may be downloaded from the Toshiba support website at http://support.toshiba.com

If the computer is fully off, and/or to avoid having to re-start it (and Windows), use one or the other of the following two methods. The PC will have to be truly off (not suspended, or in standby mode, or in hibernation mode). If an external keyboard is attached to the notebook (either directly or via a docking station or a port-replicator), disconnect it until you have completed this procedure.

F2 key method: Turn the computer on. If you see an invitation to press the F2 key to enter Setup, do so. The Setup screen will appear.

Esc key method: Turn the computer on. If you do not see a prompt to press the F2 key, then immediately press and hold the Esc key for three seconds, and then release it. When prompted to, press the F1 key. The Setup screen will appear.

For Toshiba notebook PCs manufactured before the introduction of Windows XP, one or more of the following methods are appropriate:

HWSetup method: Run the HWSetup utility from the Windows Control Panel. This utility provides a relatively user-friendly way to change the BIOS settings. Changes to some of the settings will require re-starting the PC (and Windows). HWSetup was pre-installed on all but early Toshiba notebook models. If it doesn't appear as a Control Panel applet on your computer, you may be able to download it from the Toshiba Support website as part of the Toshiba Utilities package for your model.

Esc key method: If an external keyboard is attached to the notebook, either directly or via a docking station or a port-replicator, disconnect it. Turn the computer on. Immediately press and hold the Esc key for three seconds, and then release it. When prompted to, press the F1 key. The Setup screen will appear. The PC will have to be truly off (not suspended, or in standby mode, or in hibernation mode) for this method to work.

TSETUP method: Run the TSETUP utility, under MS-DOS. TSETUP runs correctly only when executed from a 'native' MS-DOS prompt, and with the processor running in real mode -- so not from a Windows 'DOS box', and without any memory manager software running (EMM386.EXE, HIMEM.SYS, or QEMM386.EXE, for example). TSetup was pre-installed on most early Toshiba notebook models (except for the very earliest models). It is available from the Toshiba Support website.