Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

no startup. Smart card required?

• Please log in to reply

pottersfriend

pottersfriend

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
I have been given a very tidy hardly used HP NX8220. When switching on the monitor is very dark and msg reads "insert smart card into reader" after about 60 seconds it reads "Smart card not present shutting down"

The person I got it from says he has NEVER had a smart card for it. He upgraded about 18 months ago and this unit has sat on a shelf gathering dust ever since. He removed the HDD to a USB caddy apparently, and since putting it away someone has taken the battery. He says it was all running perfectly before he put it on the shelf. The AC adapter I have it on seems to be working ok.

Any suggestions on getting this up and running would be appreciated. Thanks, Dave.

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
So where is the hard drive?
Is it still in the USB enclosure? In order for it to boot from the USB there would need to be an option "to boot from USB" in the bios.

Get into the BIOS by rebooting and pressing F10. Look around, there may be an option to turn it off under advanced/ security.
There will also be a spot to load defaults.

Support Manual

pottersfriend

pottersfriend

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Many thanks for the response. It seems the previous owner simply emptied the contents of the hard drive into a USB caddy (?) The actual HDD is in place in the laptop as is memory.

It will not boot up past the msg. saying "insert smart card into reader" then 60 seconds later "smart card not present shutting down" Is there any way you know of bypassing that? I have tried to start in safe mode (F8)and straight in to BIOS (F10) without success.
Thanks again.
Dave