Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

limited or no connectivity, can't renew ip address

• Please log in to reply

nati143

nati143

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Today, for a reason unknown to me, my computer (acer mini) started giving me the "limited or no connectivity" message when I tried to connect to the internet. I have never had a problem with this before and I have used this connection for about a year (home). I would appreciate any help...in Layman's please :) thanks so, so much!
**it also says that it cannot contact my dhcp**

Edited by nati143, 27 June 2010 - 05:56 AM.

Advertisements

Brother Bill

Brother Bill

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
It's possible that your firewall is blocking your outbound connection. Try temporarily disabling it and see if you can get through. Might be an expired subscription.

nati143

nati143

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I use avg. I disabled it last night and tried but it didn't work. Should I disable and restart?

nati143

nati143

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
ok i just did it again. now i'm getting a new message when i try to connect. it says "cannot disable wireless adapter" "it is not possible to disable the connection at this time. the connection may be using one or more protocols that do not support plug-n-play, or it may have been initiated by another user or the system account"

i didn't know what that meant but just in case is turned off my boyfriends laptop and then tried to connect but i still couldn't :)

i should mention that my wifi button was off last night and we didn't realize it so my boyfriend started tinkering with my laptop. when i finally realized it was off, i switched it on, got a signal but couldn't connect. i haven't installed or deleted any programs recently so i can't understand what it is.

Brother Bill

Brother Bill

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
I'm assuming that you're using your boyfriends computer to access the web and are not experiencing any issues. What operating system are you using and have you made any recent changes to the system? Any other recent issues, power outages, irregular behavior of your system, even anything that may or may not seem related?

nati143

nati143

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
you are correct. i'm not very savvy with computer lingo but i think my "operating system" is windows xp. i am sure he did something to the properties of my connection (i saw that screen up while he was messing with it) but he doesn't remember what he did...just great :) i run a small business from my computer and really need it working :)
oh, no power outages or irregular behavior. wish i could give you more to work with.

nati143

nati143

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
also when i look at the properties of the connection it says "this connection uses the following items"
-client for microsoft networks
-file and printer sharing for microsoft networks
-QOS packet scheduler
-internet protocol (tcp/ip)
My internet was just fine until last night. Truth is, i didn't know my wifi switch was exactly that-my wifi switch. I was just sitting there with a friend and saw the button and out of curiosity pushed it. Soon after, I realized that my internet was out but did not link the two. Then, of course, my boyfriend messed with it.

Brother Bill

Brother Bill

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
You might try to go back to a previous restore point.

Open the Start menu, select All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore.

Select the Restore my computer to an earlier time option. Click on Next.

On the Select a restore point screen, move back in time through the calendar and look for a highlighted date that's previous to the time the issue started.

Select the date, then select a highlighted point. It will likely be labeled as System Checkpoint. Click on Next again. Make sure any running programs are closed and click Next once more. Your system will restart itself and you can try your connection again.

nati143

nati143

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
ok just did it...computer is restarting. fingers crossed;)

nati143

nati143

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
i love you:) it worked...yaaaaay! i do a vlog and if you have a comp repair company you'd like me to plug, please let me know. i will definitely be talking about this incident on there, haha.
one more thing. do you have ANY idea how to get my webcam in sync with the audio? i would love to be able to use but every time i record with it, the video lags behind the audio...if not, it's cool. you've already helped a bunch.

Brother Bill

Brother Bill

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
I'm sorry, but I can't help much with the video/sound issue. That's one area I never messed with much. I'm sure there's someone around here that can help, might have to open another thread. Glad to hear that you're back to surfing again though. Have fun.

Bill