Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

am2+ and am3

• Please log in to reply

skitzodancer

skitzodancer

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
i think i know the answer to this but i just want a second opinion or two.

does a am2+ socket support a am3 cpu

basically my gaming rig is using a quad core phenom cpu and i want to upgrade to a hex core phenom..... the only trouble is the hex core is am3... ive looked google and the am3 has less pins than the am2+ so it theoretically should work ?

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
AM3 processors work in AM2+ boards.
AM2 processors work (by and large) in AM2+ boards.

AM2 and AM2+ processors do not work in AM3 boards.

You are strongly advised to check the CPU supported list for your board because not all AM2+ or AM3 boards work with 6 core processors.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP

You are strongly advised to check the CPU supported list for your board

Worth repeating.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,025 posts
Also make sure your MB manufacturer has an updated
BIOS available to support the CPU.

skitzodancer

skitzodancer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
the mb i have (asus m3n72-d) doesnt saying anything in the manual about how many cores it can take... it does say it the socket will work for phenom fx, phenom, athlon and sempron cpus... the hex core is pehnom 2 so it wont work :) ?

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP

the mb i have (asus m3n72-d) doesnt saying anything in the manual about how many cores it can take...

That does not surprise me. I see no reason why it should. It will only tell you what type CPU it support. But note the manual was written and printed a long time ago. The website, on the other hand, is updated regularly based on new CPUs that come out.

http://support.asus....p...uct=1&os=29

skitzodancer

skitzodancer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

the mb i have (asus m3n72-d) doesnt saying anything in the manual about how many cores it can take...

That does not surprise me. I see no reason why it should. It will only tell you what type CPU it support. But note the manual was written and printed a long time ago. The website, on the other hand, is updated regularly based on new CPUs that come out.

http://support.asus....p...uct=1&os=29

thanks i didnt think of looking on there... i doesnt support six core but it does support phenom 2... so i guess ill upgrade to that for know untill/if there is a six core update