Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Partition space

• Please log in to reply

SpecialSam

SpecialSam

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
So I had a brand new computer made for me (ordered the parts off Megabuy, had a friend assemble it) and I set about setting it up. I planned to have the initial partitions as follows :
- 200 gb for windows/programs
- 300 gb for games
- 300 gb for my music recordings
- 200 gb for documents/other
Unfortunately I left a zero off the 200 gb for windows and giving me only 20 gb (closer to 18). Not realizing my mistake I finished the xp install and installed my games etc when my computer promptly informed me there isn’t enough space on the windows drive (drive f:). Is there a way of allocating the un-partitioned space to the windows drive without having to format it.

Edited by SpecialSam, 27 June 2010 - 08:06 AM.

Advertisements

Brother Bill

Brother Bill

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
There are several after market utilities designed to accomplish the task of resizing or restructuring your drive partitions. Acronis and Partition Magic are two well known products. I'm sure that with a little research, several others can be located. Having never used any of them, I can't really recommend any particular one, though Acronis is always spoken well of.

Windows also comes equipped with their own built in utilities.

Disk management can be used to reduce the size of a primary partition to free up space for an extended partition. For extending the size of a particular partition, the Diskpart command line utility is another option. Like I said, it's already part of the XP system so the price is hard to beat, but unless you're accustomed to using a command line it can be quite a bit more difficult to use. It is also a very powerful utility that can do some damage if it's not used properly.

I'm sorry I couldn't be more help,
Bill

SpecialSam

SpecialSam

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

There are several after market utilities designed to accomplish the task of resizing or restructuring your drive partitions. Acronis and Partition Magic are two well known products. I'm sure that with a little research, several others can be located. Having never used any of them, I can't really recommend any particular one, though Acronis is always spoken well of.

Windows also comes equipped with their own built in utilities.

Disk management can be used to reduce the size of a primary partition to free up space for an extended partition. For extending the size of a particular partition, the Diskpart command line utility is another option. Like I said, it's already part of the XP system so the price is hard to beat, but unless you're accustomed to using a command line it can be quite a bit more difficult to use. It is also a very powerful utility that can do some damage if it's not used properly.

I'm sorry I couldn't be more help,
Bill

You couldn't be more wrong Bill, you were very helpful. Thankyou for recommending Acronis it did the job perfectly, I recommend it to anyone looking to shuffle their partion sizes around.
Thanks again

Edited by SpecialSam, 27 June 2010 - 06:53 PM.

Brother Bill

Brother Bill

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
Glad to hear Acronis worked out so well for you. I'll keep it in mind. That looks like quite a system. Have fun.

Bill