Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

WININET.dll was not found

• Please log in to reply

chrislan

chrislan

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi. Please help. I am receiving an error message upon logging in....."Explorer.EXE - Unable to Locate Component. This application has failed to start because WININET.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fi this problem." Whether I click "ok" to acknowledge the message or "x" off of the message, the computer then goes to my wallpaper, with nothing else visible on the screen. There is also one other message popping up with it... "RUNDLL. Eroor loading newdev.dll. The specified module could not be found." Same thing... whether clicking "ok", or "x"ing off, the computer stays on the wallpaper, and will do nothing else.

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Does CTRL+ALT+DEL bring Task Manager up?
Do you have Windows CD?

chrislan

chrislan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Yes, the task manager will come up, and no, we do not have a Windows CD. We have been attempting to copy and paste a DLL file into the System32 file, with no success, as of yet.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
I'm pretty sure, you'll need Windows CD to try to fix your issues. Borrowed CD will do.

Using Task Manager, run this command:
sfc /scannow

chrislan

chrislan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Tried to run the command.... a window flashed up on the screen, but was instantly gone. Also... borrowed a Windows Cd, but don't think it's the exact version of our OS.... (Think it's XP Pro, where we have XP Home). Will this matter?

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Yes, you need same Windows version CD.

Let's get some more from you.
Did this situation just happen?
Any recent changes to your computer?

chrislan

chrislan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Yes... my husband uninstalled and reinstalled mcafee... Mcafee was giving him error messages, and he thought the only way to fix it was to take it off completely, and reinstall. Trouble is, it would not reinstall.... couldn't complete the installation. Does this have anything to do with the missing dll files?

Please advise. ;-)

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
WININET.dll file may be a legit Windows file, but it may also be a malicious file.
All depends on its location.
Since you're also having problems with McAfee....

I suggest that you start a new topic in the Malware Removal and Spyware Removal area.

Before you start a new topic click on this link --> Malware and Spyware Cleaning Guide, Please read before starting a new topic. This will give you a few preparations to make, as well as instruction for posting your OTListIt2 log.

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).