Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Splitting One DVI into Two!

• Please log in to reply

Nathan138

Nathan138

• Pip
  • 3 posts
If I get a dvi to dvi/hdmi splitter and have the dvi hooked up to my computer and the hdmi hooked up to my ps3 will I have any problems displaying one at a time on my monitor (HP w2007) or will it not recognize the split?

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
I don't think it will work. The only splitters I have seen are used to feed two monitors.

I think what you want is a switch. Then you will need to use DVI to HDMI adaptors for your DVI source.

Nathan138

Nathan138

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
So, the reason I don't to connect the computer to the vga port is because I watch movies and TV on it, so what I want to know now is that if I send the DVI signal to the VGA port via an adapter, whether or not it would display Digital or Analog Video.

* Also I would like to know how I would input the sound from my PC and PS3 to my computer speakers. Could I just get a splitter or should I use a switch of some sort?

Edited by Nathan138, 27 June 2010 - 05:16 PM.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
It depends on the DVI type of the source. Only DVI-A carries analog.

The audio can be split as you describe, but you have to take care about interference affecting the sound quality.

Nathan138

Nathan138

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
well as for the dvi my solution I came up with that is the cheapest is to get an hdmi switch and use DVI to hdmi adapters to connect the PS3 and Computer to the switch and then to the monitor, that should work should it not?

Edited by Nathan138, 27 June 2010 - 06:41 PM.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
For video, "in theory", yes. You will still need to run audio.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

So, the reason I don't to connect the computer to the vga port is because I watch movies and TV on it, so what I want to know now is that if I send the DVI signal to the VGA port via an adapter, whether or not it would display Digital or Analog Video.

to clarify this. anything connected to a VGA port will be analog only. VGA is an analog protocol