Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

can't find modem

• Please log in to reply

whojob

whojob

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
had to reinstall windows and lost everything now it won't find my modem for my dsl internet connection. Any help? it a dell dimension 1100 hooked through a router and then to a dsl modem through Ethernet hookups using XP

Edited by whojob, 27 June 2010 - 03:54 PM.

Advertisements

Brother Bill

Brother Bill

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
By not finding your modem, do you mean that the device manager does not list a network adapter at all?

Open your Start menu, right-click My Computer, and select Properties. Under the Hardware tab, select Device Manager. Check the list of devices for an entry for Network Adapter. If it is listed, are there any odd symbols there? A yellow question mark or red exclamation point?

Edited by Brother Bill, 27 June 2010 - 06:23 PM.

whojob

whojob

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Yes in the list right after modems there is a yellow ? beside it says other devices. when I click to show whats there it shows
Ethernet controller
multimedia audio controller
video controller
video controller (VGA compatible)
and all of them have a yellow ? in front of them

Brother Bill

Brother Bill

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
Chances are that you need to reinstall the drivers for the affected devices. Double-click on each of the items and check the device status. It will indicate whether the device is operating properly or if there are particular issues to be dealt with. You can also check the Drivers tab and update the drivers from there. Microsoft has an article on managing devices that includes a section on updating and installing drivers. It will walk you through the process if you need help.

How to manage devices in Windows XP