Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

need feedback

• Please log in to reply

billsworld

billsworld

• Pip
  • 3 posts
i need to work on my site any comments welcome, and does anyone know where to get good free frontpage templates? Bills World

Advertisements

ditto

ditto

- i pwn n00bs -

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,260 posts
Hey billsworld,

Definitely try to make it more organized. Dont have your pictures all over the place. Also, when working with background and fonts, make sure its easy on the eyes

http://www.google.co...G=Google Search

Spike3

Spike3

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
Hi,

Yeah I agree, a bit mish mash with the old format. I see your using tables so maybe narrow them down. give us something to look at rather than searching for something. Also one particular hate of mine with websites is repeated backgrounds. If your logo is good enough you shouldn't need to do this. It takes the eye away from the text etc by being distracting.

Also remember people who have 800 x 600 resolution will be looking at it as well!! It's a little big for them! It fills my screen and I'm on 1280 x 1048 (or whatever the actual pixel sizes are!)

I like the graphic at the bottom of your home page, why is it at the bottom, it''s the mot eye pleasing and yet tucked away at the bottom!!

Nice animation of the computers arguing!

Maybe try a different format and keep your google advertising down one side perhaps? I steer away from websites with advertising and it was the first thing i saw.

If you need any help with anything let me know!

Spike

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts

i need to work on my site any comments welcome, and does anyone know where to get good free frontpage templates?  Bills World

View Post

Didn't see the original, but it looks pretty good to me. I use broadband and some of your images took a little longer than usual. You might want to use an image editor or one of the many online image tools to "thin" out your larger sized images.

Also, you have many problems with your html coding. You might want to do a validation check and see if you can't tighten up some of the code :

Markup Validation Service

Checked into MFHosting. Nice free plans, but I don't like the no ads on your free sites part. I think they wouldn't like the two I have which are from friends' sites plus the ones I have that are unpaid, but needed to use certain web images, etc.

Ron

LazyStudent

LazyStudent

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
No offence but Its a bit disorganised for my liking. Everything seems to be placed randomly around the page. Take a good look at some your favourite sites and you might get some ideas on a better structure for the site. I'd look at putting more discrete backgrounds in too because it takes the focus of the content. Sorry if thats a bit negative. Keep working on it anyway.

ejay563

ejay563

• PipPip
  • 92 posts
You might want to consider having a more compact template. I just got through with an html class, and the teacher really impressed something on me, and I must say I agree. SCROLLING IS EVIL!. I would try to fit everything in a table that fits the screen pretty well. Also, you do need to keep in mind the people that run on 800X600. You want your website to be appealing to everyone that views it. It may help that when you design your sight, put your comptuers resolution on 800X600, that way you can see what they will. If you want an Idea of what I was talking about as far as getting the website to fit on the screen, feel free to visit my website: www.mountainjewelsranch.com . The only thing I would do different on mine is to make it more viewable to those who run at 800X600. One last thing. You NEED to reduce the size of your graphics. It took me a good five minutes to load @28.8. Also, consider a solid color background. Hope this helps.

-ERik

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
There are several options for coding your pages so that they are available for all resolutions.

I tend not to want to cater to people who use outdated browsers, too, as I would just flat indicate on the page that it is best viewed at whatever res and the browser to use.

For those who like to surf the net with their java/javascript functions turned off, you can code for these if you really need the business for all users. Afterall, if you want everyone's business then you are going to have to meet the guidelines for older browsers, people using lower res screens, text only browsers, the aural and blind users, etc..

There are compliance guidelines to follow for making your site fit all these requirements. For example, how many people actually put in a summary attribute for tables and fill it out properly for those aural, text and blind users?

I would check the current stats for the percentage of people using what browsers and screen resolutions and design accordingly.

Ron