Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

missing icons, faulty sys. restore, dual monitor not working

• Please log in to reply

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Well if you find there are still errors which may well have been fixed by the sfc /scannow and then your reinstall of the programs I would, IF IT WAS NOT UNDER GUARANTEE, insert the Windows CD and do a REPAIR install OR if the computer has a recovery partition I would try a NON-Destructive recovery.
Both of these will preserve your programmes and personal data.
The repair install using the XP CD is as per this link.
You will of course have the instructions for the recovery partition, if applicable, with the computer.
http://www.theelderg..._windows_xp.htm
Please note the REPAIR install is NOT the recovery console. It is explained on the link.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 01 July 2010 - 08:31 AM.

Advertisements

moscatomg1

moscatomg1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
yeah, *again*, that will be difficult, b/c this dell mini has no cd drive. also, all i did was a simple copy & paste of those few tiny programs--and, actually, what I'm saying is that things are better now after what I've done than they have been since i started this. moreover, as I already mentioned, the sfc /scannow did not look to have improved any of the issues I'd been having. lastly, by this and your last several replies, it does not look like you're really reading my posts. I do sincerely appreciate the volunteer help on these forums for the most part, but this kind of help is not really helping anyone. Edit: also, from what others, like that guy's link I already referenced, suggest is that this is Not a manufacturer (i.e. Dell) issue--it is an XP issue, which Dell consistently strives to expose anyway, so that they can pass the buck and not help at all.

Edited by moscatomg1, 01 July 2010 - 11:19 AM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts

well I did that--as best I could. b/c this is a dell mini, and it has no cd drive. so I took the disc that came w/ it, put it in a folder on a portable drive, plugged it in, and followed your instructions.

I knew before MY LAST POST that it had no optical drive, you had already told me. As per quote above.
If you did that before, I cannot undertsand why you cannot do it now.

messing w/ start up settings

More than likely the cause of your problems and reading your previous threads, you seem to have many of them.
I will leave it with you.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 03 July 2010 - 03:53 PM.