Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unmountable Boot Volume

• Please log in to reply

bl0ndi3_

bl0ndi3_

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
Hi,
every time I try to turn my laptop on, it will not proceed past the Windows logo and then it comes up with the blue screen saying "UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME"
I cannot start it in safe mode and i tried inserting a windows 7 disk, but I don't know what to do?
Help me!

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
It's possible (but not always the case) that the hard disk has failed. In any case it's a good idea to confirm first if that's the case before proceeding with other remedies because if it has failed it's pointless trying anything else.

All the major disk manufacturer's have a free diagnostic software on their website. Basically you download it and run the downloaded file to make a bootable CD. Then boot your computer from it. The testing software runs in RAM so it doesn't matter what condition the disk is in - the test will still run. Just make sure you download the DOS version because the Windows version needs Windows which won't run on your PC in it's present condition.

The hard-disk maker's websites are listed here: http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287

Iconicmoronic

Iconicmoronic

• PipPip
  • 92 posts
one possible (but depending on the degree of damage or what have you not guaranteed) fix is to press f8 after you've powered on your computer. You'll want to do this during the POST stage, which if you have it so that the POST is displayed then you will see various files and hardware settings checked, but a lot of people also have a splash screen. Particularly if you have an OEM computer like an HP, Dell; etc. Simply put, hit f8 when you see the notice to press other function keys like f2 for setup, f9 for recovery; etc. Tap it a few times. This will put you through to the Windows Recovery Console. You want to get to a command line, networking is not needed in order to address you issue but you may need the disc that you used to install windows and if this is the case you will be prompted after this command has executed: fixmbr.

Windows will automatically attempt to fix your boot record so that your system is bootable again. You can also (if you're uncomfortable issuing commands) enter the repair console, which is a simple graphical environment and you can simply press a button which tells windows, find and fix whatever isn't right. This is implemented on Windows Vista and later I believe and you enter it the same way as you would the Recovery Console, its a mere matter of selecting a choice from the menu.

Typing help at the command line will also list other commands you can issue which you can then research so that in the future, if you have an issue you are more individually prepared to attempt simple pc maintenance. A good way to keep your boot files from messing up is not to load splash screens, logon screens, mess with the .ini files; etc. Programs like Logonloader, Tweak; etc. can (and do not always these are relatively good programs) cause crashes. Good luck.

Iconicmoronic

Iconicmoronic

• PipPip
  • 92 posts
if you are able to enter a command line from F8 (not safe mode persay a command line), then in addition to issuing the fixmbr you'll want to do a chkdsk /f or /r. if you are still unable to recover your boot records the only solutions are to have created an image with windows 7, norton, or some other imaging software and then implement it from a boot disk. Hopefully if you have an OEM you can enter recovery mode either with installation discs or by using the functional keys to boot into factory recovery mode and then process to unfold the image on that partition.

The boot sectors of the hard disk are the ones you really don't want to mess with.

You could also copy the boot files from a computer with the same configuration by removing your hard drives and on a functional windows installation utilize the computer management tools. its not as easy as inserting the recovery discs though. You can also create an image of the drive in the same fashion, reload your disk drive, and then have the files accessible on the image. They are not the most convenient solutions but without backup media, losing that boot sector is a pain in the petooty.

bl0ndi3_

bl0ndi3_

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
phillipcorcoran -
i looked at that website but as far as i see it doesn't have one for Toshiba computers

Iconicmoronic -
I hit f8, the following options came up
Safe mode
Safe mode with networking
Safe mode with command prompt

enable boot logging
enable low-resolution video
last known good configuration
directory services restore mode
debugging mode
diasble automatic restart on system failure
disable driver signature enforcement

start windows normally

i cannot start it in any of safe modes at all, it freezes on a black screen with white writing on it and then suddenly the blue screen pops up and says unmountable_boot volume

so i dont know which one to push

Iconicmoronic

Iconicmoronic

• PipPip
  • 92 posts
did you try to enter last known good configuration? low resolution might help but not likely if its just a boot issue or disabling drivers. i'm not sure whether or not there is driver information contained in a boot sector, but i had a similar issue after an update and was able to enter safe mode (so obviously they seem quite different). It seems you have to exhaust your options at this point or go the long route. You may as well enable boot logging as well so that in the future if you have issues and can boot (albeit with issues or crashes) you will have a reference.

i know you said you're getting the black screen and white letter scroll when you try to enter safe mode, but are you getting the blue screen of death if you try to load straight through? I looked on the internet a minute, but all entries have suggested using the command prompt. chkdsk /r and /p have been suggested although R is the more complete (and by far longer) option. fixboot and fixmbr are the other two that again require a command line. the reason check disk is so vital is because if its simply fragmentation or missing headers, windows will find them in the boot sector and fix them. that's the entire idea behind the tool to fix damaged hard disk sectors. if I was you I would go to microsoft.com and search through the windows 7 knowledge base if you want to fix the issue without reformatting or connecting the drive to a computer which has a working copy of windows 7.

In either case, when the computer crashes, you'll want to look for any hexidecimal output like 0x000000; etc. This will help you find the correct entry in microsofts knowledgebase, the error can be produced for varied reasons. Here's a link to a simple entry, and you can go from there.

Read this first, and after insert your installation disc to get to computer repair. You don't have to hit f8. Tell the disc to repair windows when the screen loads and perhaps this will fix your issue. I thought I had said that, here is the link.

Microsoft Windows 7 Solution Center Search Results for Unmountable Boot Volume

Edited by Iconicmoronic, 02 July 2010 - 09:04 AM.

bl0ndi3_

bl0ndi3_

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
I tried last known good configuration, it sits on the microsoft corporation scrolling logo for about 4minutes and then the blue screen pops up for not even a second and the computer restarts again.

I did try the cd repair process, but the problem is i wasnt given a vista installation cd when i brought the computer. So i need to get one. I have been trying to use a windows 7 cd, which mustn't work since it goes to a black screen when i try to run it. I also had looked at that help website before for windows, but none of the helps seemed to help me and some of them I did not understand.

I cannot enter safe mode at all, it goes to the white letter scrolling screen, goes to the blue screen and restarts again.

When i disabled automatic restart on system failure, i could read the blue screen. it said "UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME" and the code was STOP: 0X000000ED (0X85A982F0, 0XC0000185, 0X00000000, 0X00000000)

I appreciate you trying to help me :)