Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

windows 7 problem

• Please log in to reply

lucycampbell55

lucycampbell55

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Could someone please help me. I've been unable to download zipfiles ever since I changed to windows 7. Whenever I try to download a zip or rar file I end up getting an mpeg file instead. What is my system missing that won't let me download. Any and all help would be appreciated. I was online with a windows 7 tech and he had no idea what I needed.

Advertisements

3quilibrium

3quilibrium

• PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
lucycampbell55,

1) Are you unable to get zip/rar files from a particular location or all locations?
2) Verify that you have an application that can handle zip/rar files. A good open source utility is 7-zip, which you can obtain from here 7-zip.

lucycampbell55

lucycampbell55

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
It seems that I cannot download any zip or rar files. I have downloaded all the different free programs to open them but that's not the problem. When I click on them to download, I get an mpeg picture, not the whole file. I'm just about at my wits end.

3quilibrium

3quilibrium

• PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
luckycampbell55,

Please verify that your .zip files are associated with a program meant to manage these types of files and not a picture editor.

To do this follow these instructions:

1) Navigate to Start > Control Panel > Default Programs and then select Associate a file type or protocol with a program.
2) Look for the zip file and rar file extensions and note the program it is associated with. If you see a program meant to edit pictures as the default, this is your problem.
3) Change the default program by highlighting the file extension and then choose the Change Program button and choose a program from the list, a program that can manage .zip and .rar files. And then see if your mpeg files turn into .zip and .rar files accordingly.

Please let me know the results, this is purely just a theory and if the .zip and .rar file extensions do not appear in the list, then we'll have to look elsewhere to solve the problem.