Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

General Low-End Build Questions

• Please log in to reply

FNP

FNP

• PipPipPip
  • 606 posts
Hey everyone :)

So I've decided that it's time for me to start building my own systems, so I started by putting together a list of specs for a low-end system. I'm wondering mainly if:
  • Everything is compatible (I think it is, but it never hurts to have another opinion).
  • Is the PSU going to be enough (I know everyone says bump it up. I ran several calculators, and came out with around 275W. I'm not looking to upgrade this comp- most likely it's going to be an e-mail checker for a family member).
Ok, one with the specs! :)

Case:
Rosewill FB-01 Black ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

System Board:
MSI G41M4-F LGA 775 Intel G41 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

Processor:
Intel Celeron E3300 Wolfdale 2.5GHz Dual-Core Processor

Memory:
Kingston HyperX 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory

Hard Drive:
Seagate Pipeline 160GB SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive

Optical Drive:
ASUS Black 24X DVD+R DVD Burner

PSU:
350W ATX12V Ver2.2 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply

I know there's no video card (onboard, along with the sound and LAN). Not worried about that. Am I missing anything else?

Also, I have a question about standard peripheral power connectors (Molex). Do they need to be connected in any specific order? I've seen some with labels like 'P4' or 'P9'. What does that mean, and does it affect how I'm going to power my system? Thanks in advance. :)

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
Hey mate,

Everything looks alright for a budget build. Not too sure on the PSU quality but it should do the job according to the specs. Also got an OS allocated for that machine?

This thing sure won't break any speed barriers... :)

Also for the molex connectors, I haven't the foggiest idea. I've seen them before on some PSUs but I've never known and never had any issues before. Although from memory, the old AT power supplies had P8 and P9 which I think were supposed to connect to the motherboard... but I don't know what any of them are know. Most PSUs I work with don't even have them.

Cheers

FNP

FNP

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 606 posts
Thanks for the reply sir :)

What do you mean by quality? Wattage? Brand?

Not looking for a screamer. Just a basic build for me to test myself/be an e-mail checker.

Probably going to go with Ubuntu. No need to pour $100 into a low-end system, in my opinion. :)

Okay, so the Molex connectors just plug into one another? I know there are keyed so you can't mix up the 5 and 12V wires (I've heard my share of smokey horror stories). On machines I've opened up and looked at I've seen chains of connectors with a few plugs in between the PSU and peripheral not being used by anything:

PSU=====O=====O=====HDD

Where the O in an empty connector. Is this just how the system manufacturer set it up to it would be easier to add more powered components later, or is this done for another purpose?

Thanks for the reply, you're the best :)

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
Totally doesn't matter. Plug it in and it works.

For PSU, both wattage and brand I guess. I've never used them before. As long as this machine doesn't pretty much ever get upgraded it should be alright. It is 80 Plus certified so it can't be too bad.

FNP

FNP

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 606 posts
Thanks, Troy. I really appreciate it. :)

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
It wasn't me, honest I swear it...

Wait...

You're welcome. :)