Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Which forum should I use?

• Please log in to reply

chally

chally

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
Hello.
How does one determine which forum to use to open a new topic about about an error concerning HP DigitalMedia Archive?
Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
I would probably use the one you are in because it sounds like a application/ program problem.

If it sounds like it needs to go someplace else we can ask a moderator to move it. Its not a big deal.

What is the problem you are having?
What is the error you are getting.

chally

chally

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
After turning on my PC and logging in I left the PC unattended. When I returned there was
an HP DigitalMedia Archive dialog box open with this message:

"The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable."
"Click OK to try again, or enter an alternet path to a folder containing the installation
package 'EZARC.msi in the box below.

The box below, Use source box, contained "c:\hp\tmp\src"

I clicked OK to try again.

Then, HP DigitalMedia Archive dialog box said:

"The path 'c\hp\tmp\src\EZARC.msi' cannot be found. Verify that you have access to this
location and try abain or try to find the installation package 'EZAEX.msi' in a folder from
which you can install the product HP DigitalMedia Archive"

I dragged the HP DigitalMedia Archive dialog box and found an HP DigitalMedia Archive
progress box under it with the message:

"Please wait while Windows configures HP DigitalMedia Archive"

I did a file search for ezarc.msi and found it in folder D:\I386\APPS\APP18038\src.
I entered the folder name inthe Use source box and clicked OK.
Then an HP DigitalMedia Archive error dialog box mesaage displayed:

"Error writing to file: c:\Program Files\HP DigitalMedia Archive\MCE\Help\Help PTG.htm.

Verify that you have access to that directory."

I clicked the HP DigitalMedia Archive error dialog box Cancel button and HP DigitalMedia
Archive progress dialog box Yes button. The dialog boxes cleared but they keep coming back,
sometimes immediately, sometimes after several minutes.

I also notice that for each time this error occurs, Norton 360 detects and logs an entry:
Activity: Unauthorized access logged (Access Process Data)
Severity: Medium

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
I have been very busy lately. Work is getting in the way.

Have you installed any new software prior to the problem arising?
This is related to a HP software package that has gone bottoms up.
It could be a HP camera, scanner, or printer.
Re-installing the program should resolve it.

What component do you have that is HP?

suggestion

Sometimes, during load, Roxia Digital Media Archive doesn't load correctly, or becomes corrupt. This is where you are getting the EZARC.msi request from. If you follow these steps, you should resolve the problem.

start > all programs > Help & Tools > HP Application Recovery

When the Application Recovery console comes up, Choose Application Installation then click NEXT.
When the list comes up, highlight Roxio DigitalMedia Archive by clicking on it, then click the "Install" button.
It will re-install Digital Media Archive, and fix your EZARC.msi search issue.

Look at This Link

Resolving MSI Errors from HP

123runner

chally

chally

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Hello
The list of Currently installed programs and updates in my Control Panel, Add or Remove Programs window shows HP DigitalMedia Archive is installed. Should I uninstall it before following your instructions for installing Roxio DigitalMedia Archive?

In your reply Post #4 you asked
1. Have you installed any new software prior to the problem arising?"
2. What component do you have that's HP?

The last previous update was on 6/24/2010 at 1:17PMin response to a Yellow shield icon in the Notification Area saying "Updates are ready for your computer. Click here to install these updates". This error first occurred on 6/27 after several turn off/turn on of the PC.

My PC is HP Pavilion a1642x. I have a Canon PIXMA iP1700 printer. I do not have a camera or scanner.

chally.

Edited by chally, 05 July 2010 - 02:36 PM.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
I have had to do some more digging. It sounds like an HP update created this.

This is a programme that allows you to archive files probably at HP.

1st thing to try....
Start
Run
Type MSCONFIG click Ok
Go to Startup
uncheck DMAScheduler
Click OK
Restart. You will get a warning on restart about running in diagnostic mode. Check the box to not show message again.

See if that helps.
================================================================================
Download Autoruns from the link in my signature below:
1: Extract the Autoruns Zip file contents to a folder.
2: Double-click the "Autoruns.exe".
3: Click on the "Everything" tab
4: Remove any entries that mention "File Not Found" by right-clicking the entry and select Delete.
5: Go to File then to Export As or Save in some versions.
6: Save AutoRuns.txt file to known location.
7: Attach to your next reply.

Attached are a couple links for you to look at for more info.
http://www.fixya.com...pop_up</strong>
Roxio DigitalMedia Archive repair
HP Digital Archive Issue

chally

chally

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Hello.
First, let me say I did not perform your instructions in Post #4.
I performed your instructions in your Post #6. I have not had the problem since. (Note: the HP DigitalMedia Archive error message boxes have to be closed or it won't Restart).
Here's the Autoruns log:

Attached File  AutoRuns.txt   32.21KB   169 downloads

I would like to know what could have changed in my computer to introduce this problem suddenly. I just looked at my old Norton Diagnostic Report I printed on 3/3/2010 and HP DigitalMedia Archive was in the Installed Programs list at that time. What HP update could I have done during the session prior to the first startup at which the problem was manifested?

A new problem arose for the first time on 7/9/2010 at 8:30PM.

A yellow Norton 360 message box popped up with
"A recent attempt to attack your computer was blocked."
It closed automatically. It happens every time I connect to the geekstogo website and I Have four (4) intrusion attempt entries are logged in the Norton Security History. I think I should open a new topic. What do you think?

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Sorry for the late response. Work and home takes precedence over all! Summertime is bad do to a lot of vacations at work.

I performed your instructions in your Post #6. I have not had the problem since. (Note: the HP DigitalMedia Archive error message boxes have to be closed or it won't Restart).

Does this mean its fixed or not fixed? Your answer is ambiguous.

I would like to know what could have changed in my computer to introduce this problem suddenly. I just looked at my old Norton Diagnostic Report I printed on 3/3/2010 and HP DigitalMedia Archive was in the Installed Programs list at that time. What HP update could I have done during the session prior to the first startup at which the problem was manifested?

No idea! Could have been a HP update (they are turned on), MS update, or virus/ malware.

Autoruns looks ok.

A yellow Norton 360 message box popped up with
"A recent attempt to attack your computer was blocked."
It closed automatically. It happens every time I connect to the geekstogo website and I Have four (4) intrusion attempt entries are logged in the Norton Security History. I think I should open a new topic. What do you think?

I suggest you go to the Malware Removal and Spyware Removal Forum and run all the steps located in the START HERE. These self-help tools will help you clean up 70% of problems on your own. If you are still having problems after doing the steps, then please post the reguested logs in THAT forum. If you are unable to run any of the tools then start a new topic in the malware forum and put this in the subject line...I am unable to run any malware tools

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

Add a link to this topic so that malware tech can see what steps have been taken here

chally

chally

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Hello,

I no longer have the problem of the HP DigitalMedia Archive error message box on startup. I'm assuming this is because DMA Scheduler is not running on startup. I guess that means the problem is fixed.

However, I still have some questions. Since HP DigitalMedia Archive has been installed at least as far back as 3/3/2010 and I have not uninstalled it, and I don't know what the periodic HP updates do, how can I be sure that any future HP update won't cause DMA Scheduler to run on startup again?

These are files are currently resident in my PC:
Roxio_DigitalMedia_Archive_2_201B67n_B1_MCE_ALL_WW-01.block in folder D:\I386\APPS\APP18038
Type: Windows Installer Package
Created: 9/29/2006 7:35 PM
Modified: 4/25/2006 8:22 AM

EZARC.msi in folder D:\I386\APPS\APP18038\src
Modified: 6/27/2010 6:54 PM

09_HP_IZ_archive.bmp in folder D:\I386\APPS\APP05906\src\setup
Type: Bitmap Image
Modified: 8/22/2005 9:56 AM

===============================
I will follow your suggestion about running the steps in the Malware Removal and Spyware Forum. you

===============================
When I openned geekstogo and signed in for this session I noted the following:
1. I did not experience an "intrusion attempt" as I reported to you in my Post#7.
2. I did not explcitely sign in. I was automatically signed in!
3. I can see that there have been some changes to the appearance of the pages.
4. The Quote boxes in your previous replies are gone. The text is still present. This makes it imposible to know where the quotes end.
5. The printed format of the topic is different from the screen view.
6. The print format does not include the Post #s.

Chally

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Since you are not using the HP digital media archive I would uninstall it. This being based on

Since HP DigitalMedia Archive has been installed at least as far back as 3/3/2010

As for other HP updates and what they do, you have to read the information associated with the update.
I personally never allow a update until I know what it is for. That includes the MS updates.

As for the differences in the forum, I can not comment on that. I had nothing to do with that.
I am also getting use to the new look and find it more difficult to navigate. The navigation ease will come in time.

You can PM a moderator with your questions and concerns.

When I openned geekstogo and signed in for this session I noted the following:
1. I did not experience an "intrusion attempt" as I reported to you in my Post#7.
2. I did not explcitely sign in. I was automatically signed in!
3. I can see that there have been some changes to the appearance of the pages.
4. The Quote boxes in your previous replies are gone. The text is still present. This makes it imposible to know where the quotes end.
5. The printed format of the topic is different from the screen view.
6. The print format does not include the Post #s.

NOTE: I will be on vacation from July 25 to July 31 with no email access.