Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Black screen of zomg

• Please log in to reply

Emmure

Emmure

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Originally posted to galaxy for help but just in case their customer support is a little slow id like to ask for help here also.

Hi i just recently bought the geforce 9500 gt for my pc. I had the card for 3 days until the problem occured. I was in the middle of playing world of warcraft and i alt+tabbed out so that i could open another program. After tabbing the screen when black and i couldnt get any response for 1-2 minutes. I figured it was a typical freeze up so i manually reset the computer but got NOTHING on startup just a black screen and a series of timed beeps from the computer that are spread out through even intervals apart. Thought the comp over heated so i let it sit for a while, nothing. Unplugged all cables and power supplies then plugged everything back in, nothing again. Then i unplugged all cables and power supplies and re-attatched all memory and the video card, still nothing =[. Figured it might be the monitor so i tried another monitor but still got the same black screen effect. Then i thought, god forbid, maybe the video card was messed up so i tried plugging the video cables directy to the mother board, and still got nothing. Im hoping this is possibly a PSU or mobo issue because im replacing these at the end of the week, and not the new video card i just got. Ran like a dream until i black screened so i figured i was putting too much pressure on the card and maybe shorted something out on the mobo and/or video card.

ASUS M2A-VM mobo with and AMD athlon 2.4 or odd something ghz
3024 MB ddr2 RAM
330w PSU
Windows XP 32-Bit
80gb HD
Nvidia Geforce 9500gt

Please help! I was very happy the past few days after upgrading to your card from integrated video, any help you can give would be amazing D=.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
what's the beep pattern that you're getting?

unplug the PC from the wall and remove the CMOS battery (little watch battery on the motherboard) then hold the power button in (everything still unplugged) for 5 to 10 seconds, put the battery back in and hook your monitor up to the built in graphics port on the computer and try to start the machine up. what happens?

Emmure

Emmure

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thankyou for the super fast response! Im at work right now but when i get home ill give it a shot and give you an update

Emmure

Emmure

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
hey dsenette, followed your instructions to the point. no longer getting a beep. fans run but the front LED is not lighting up. possible motherboard/hdd malfunction?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i did forget a portion in those instructions, remove the nvidia card as well

are you getting any screen output what so ever?

Emmure

Emmure

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
yeah i removed the card to rule out the possiblility of my brand new card being malfunct and plugged directly into the vga on the mobo.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
so no beeps, and still nothing on the screen?

Emmure

Emmure

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
yup, nothing at all

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
ok, so you've already got the video card out. how many sticks of ram are in the system? take all but one out, try to boot the system. if it works go ahead and shut the system down and take that one ram stick out and set it aside, then put another stick in the same slot, try to boot, if it works set that one aside. repeat for all sticks of ram until you've tested them all

Emmure

Emmure

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
4 sticks of ram, 2 1 gig sticks and 2 512mb sticks. will give you an update after work

Emmure

Emmure

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Ive followed your instruction and still no life on the screen. I believe my motherboard has come to the end of its days D= going to try my components in another case and see how things go. Thankyou for all the help and the fast responses, if anything new comes up ill be sure to let you know =D

Edited by Emmure, 30 June 2010 - 05:27 AM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
keep us updated

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
If I may chip in with a suggestion before you dismantle everything,
try clearing the CMOS by moving the jumper caps as described in the
user manual on page 33 http://dlcdnet.asus....2975_m2a-vm.pdf
Hope it works out for you

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
removing the CMOS battery should actually do that on it's own, CMOS can't store information without power

Emmure

Emmure

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Ive found the culprit of my problem and its left me with quite a bitter taste in my mouth. While playing around with the PSU to see if it was clogged by dirt or had some kind of overheating problem, i realised that someone who will remain anonymous(my sister) decided to change the voltage switch from 115(US standard) to 230(EU standard and TWICE what my voltage should gave been at) D=. So knowing that my PSU is most likely shorted out, and quite possibly shorted out some of my components because i tried all your suggested troubleshooting steps not knowing the voltage the switch was set on. What i need to know is if the wrong voltage switch setting could short out the new video card i bought.

Edited by Emmure, 02 July 2010 - 05:32 AM.