Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't get programs to open.

• Please log in to reply

kellermann2000

kellermann2000

• Pip
  • 2 posts
:) OK... I need some help.

The first problem I have is that the program (Internet Explorer) just shuts down sometimes when I'm online... unexpectedly, just like that.
The second problem I have is that after using the computer and coming back to it after a while... when I click on any icon to use a program, the little hourglass appears for a couple seconds then goes away and nothing happens. I can't get any program to open, nothing! It won't even let me shut down using the icons. I must shut the computer off with the switch and turn it back on. Then everything is fine for the first few uses then it does it all over again. I've tried deleteing updates, I've tried not letting it go into save power mode, I've tried a lot of the scan programs on this site. Nothing!!

I'm hoping someone can help me cuz this is annoying. Thanks for any help. :)

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Deleting updates is NOT the right thing to do.
Pls provide details of the computer, if branded make and model.
What capacity is the HDD, open My computer hold the mouse on the HDD icon and it will show size and free space, please post that.
Click START
Right click My Computer, click Properties and on the General tab post the processor and ram details.

kellermann2000

kellermann2000

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Specs you are asking for are:
Free Space 57.2GB
Toatal Size 74.5GB

AMD Athlon™ Processor
1.99GHz, 992MB of RAM

Me and my brother built the computer.
ASUS Motherboard

Edited by kellermann2000, 28 June 2010 - 03:21 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Open Internet Explorer, presuming you are using IE8 on the Tools tab, right hand side, next to Safety click Manage Add-ons. Disable the Add-ons that have a warning of incompatability and see if that stops the crash on IE. Then re-enable those one at a time until you find if one is the cause.

Open My Computer, right click the HDD, click Properties, click Tools, click Error checking , click Check Now. Click to check the box automatically Fix file system errors and click Start.
You will of course receive a message that the disk cannot be checked now, "Do you wish to reschedule for next restart." Click Yes. Restart and DO NOT INTERRUPT.
Pls report results.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 28 June 2010 - 05:29 PM.