Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Installing XP

• Please log in to reply

barbersc

barbersc

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I was lucky enough to receive 35 donated laptops. The laptops have been wiped clean and therefore there is not an operating system on the laptops. When I turn the computer on the screen turns black and the NTLDR is missing, Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart. I bought Windows XP Professional and I can boot from the disk. The os starts loading and then this screen pops up:
"Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in your computer. Make sure any hard disk drives are powered on and properly connected to your computer, and that any disk-related hardware configuration is correct. This may involve running a manufacturer-supplied diagnostic or setup program. Setup cannot continue. To quit Setup, press F3."

I have read the posts I could find regarding this but it seems that none quite fit my needs.

What are my next steps?

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
:)
Have you physically checked to make sure there is a hard drive in the system?
If not on the bottom of the laptop there should be a cover marked HD that requires one or two screws to be taken out to remove it. Then you should be able to see the hd inside the system.