Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Replace Vista but How

• Please log in to reply

leighahh

leighahh

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello everyone. I am new here and this is my last resort. I have a HP slimline comp. That came with windows xp. A few years ago it crashed hard and i took it in the have it fixed. I was told that it needed to be redone and that they would add vista to it for me. I didnt have a problem with it at first and thought all was fine. However, recently after doing some major cleaning of my comp I found out that the version of vista they gave me was a boot leg version, I dont even mind this but what i have a problem with is vista itself. I tried to contact the company that did the work for me and they are out of business no surprise there, but now I want my XP back as vista sucks. With vista it just doesnt work right. There is some kind of update that I am not suppose to download because of the bootleg version of this. My comp acts fine one minute then the next it doesnt want to run at all on top of the fact that my comp is running a os that is meant to have 2gb and only has 1gb. Can some please tell me how to get xp back. By the way I dont have the disk that came with the comp because I got it used and it didnt come with one. What if anything can I do? Thank so much. I have school starting in a week or so and would like to get this done by then so i can actually have a good semester with this comp this time. Thanks again

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
your only option in any case is to buy a legal copy of your desired operating system. if you're wanting XP you'll need to purchase a legal copy of XP, if you're wanting to re-install a legal copy of Vista you'll have to buy one, and if you want to try windows 7 you'd have to buy that too