Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

no wifi on the second floor of my home

• Please log in to reply

mgjruss

mgjruss

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
I have verizon broadband internet service. The router is on the first floor of my home. When I try using the Wifi on my Dell Inspirion ME 051 laptop which has a Dell Wireless 1370 WLAN Mini-PCI C it gives me the following message "Wireless Network Connection Wireless connection unavailable."

The strange thing is that when I go to my sister's home the wifi works fine. I call both Dell and Verizon and they both blame each other.

I purchased a D-Link DWA-643 Xtreme N ExpressCard Notebook adapter. The laptop picks up the wifi with this card when I am on the first floor and I am able to connect to the internet. When I try connecting when I am on the second floor of my home both network connections read "Wireless Network Connection Wireless connection unavailable." I am have to access the internet on the second floor as it is there that I work. Any assistance will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Advertisements

computerxpds

computerxpds

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 44 posts
My guess on this would be that the wireless router's range is poor or something is interfering with it such as electrical interference from competing devices such as cordless phones, baby monitors, alarm systems, and microwave ovens. Make sure that the router is located as far as possible from these, also it can depend what the house is built out of if it is traditional construction such as wood and drywall then the signal should carry quite far but if it is concrete then it wont go far at all. Also as for the original dell wireless card not connecting then i think it may be shot.
http://asia.cnet.com...62028667,00.htm

Edited by computerxpds, 28 June 2010 - 03:14 PM.