Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Changed CPU now windows dosnt work

• Please log in to reply

Roofus

Roofus

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
i might have placed the intial thread in the wrong place, apologises if i have ^^

Sorry if this is in the wrong part of the forum wasnt sure where to go
Anyway long story short, i changed the CPU in my computer (friend phoned overclockers.co.uk for me and checked that the new cpu is compatable with my motherboard and was told yes) and now on start up after the first loading page the computer gives me the option of either repairing windows or starting normally.

now if i start normally the pc just restarts itself and if i choose repair it goes to a blank screen and does nothing. (using windows 7 but dont have disk as it was an online upgrade from vista, also im on my dads pc posting this since my pc dosnt work ^^ )

now i understand if none of you can help me but my friend artellos tells me you guys are the best so im hoping you can ^^

http://www.geekstogo...rk-t280756.html

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
Changing the CPU is a hardware upgrade that probably requires the OS to be re-installed. You will probably also have to re-activate with Microsoft after installation since a new CPU changes the unique machine identity string from what it used to be.

Roofus

Roofus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
how would i go about doing that?
i only have a vista disk with me and the OS installed is Windows 7
also i know very little of what to do when it comes to the bios =(