Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Linux Computer

• Please log in to reply

uplink

uplink

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi everyone. I am looking to build a cheap computer just to use Linux on. I don't want something that is going to run like crap though.... But will run Linux with ease and any cool wallpapers and such that I want to use on it. But I do want to go as cheap as I can. If you could give me suggestions to a list of parts that I could buy to build this, it would be greatly appreciated. And this will be my first computer that I will have built. Thank you for your replies. =)

-Uplink

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi and welcome,

What sort of budget do you think you would be allocating toward this build? Where can you purchase parts from?

Cheers

uplink

uplink

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I would like to stick around the $300.00 range. But will spend more if I have to... Like I said I want to be able to use any wallpapers I want and use all the programming software. Play music, videos, etc.... No problems browing online.. If I have to spend more I will but $300.00 is where I want to stay.

I was going to order from NewEgg.com but any other sites people recommend I will take into consideration! Thanks!

uplink

uplink

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Bump anyone going to give me some advice?

uplink

uplink

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Ok I just ran across Barebone kits from tigerdirect. Do these kits include all the components necessary to actually build a computer? Without the Monitor keyboard mouse etc... And are they good deals?

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Hi uplink.

Here is link for you. You could swap and change, especially video cards.

http://apcmag.com/ex...e-budget-pc.htm

For the amount you want to spend, I think you would be better off looking at a second hand computer.

Here, Australia, outlets sell ex government and refurbished computers for AU$300 and up, and you usually get one about 2 years old with a limited warranty.

Edited by iammykyl, 01 July 2010 - 04:13 AM.