Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Reinstalling xp

• Please log in to reply

sweiler

sweiler

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have just recovered from a major boot problem when I attempted to set up dual-booting (xp and vista) on my laptop. When I reinstalled xp with a custom install made by nlite (xp home sp2) it essentially added a third operating system. When I start, there is no option for Vista and two options for xp home (one works the other doesn't). Weirdly enough, (or I am ignorant) all of my files from the failed xp OS have survived. The only difference (that I can see) is a Windows.0 folder in the xp partition. What I am trying to do is delete the old operating system while transferring all access to my new operating system. I am guessing that all that is necessary is to delete the Windows folder and rename the Windows.0 folder Windows. Also, I'd like to restore certain settings from the old operating system (start menu programs, tray icons, and desktop shortcuts). In addition, in my new installation there are problems with the drivers (no internet access among other things). Essentially I want to destroy whatever went wrong with the old xp and save everything else. Finally (although this may be considered off topic), I want to set up my system to dual boot with vista on the other partition. Could anyone help?
Thanks!

Shawn Weiler

Advertisements