Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Peculiar Audio Playback problem on Optical drive

• Please log in to reply

Mr Withacee

Mr Withacee

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
The optical drive on my laptop has recently developed a very peculiar problem.
When playing a CD the signal it produces is distorted and warbly for around 25-30sec for a 5min track where after it resumes normal playback. Shorter tracks are affected for a shorter time. It seems to be in the region of 8-8.5% of the overall running time of the track. Upon resuming a new track the problem repeats itself. When playing a DVD the unpleasant effect seems to persists for the entire disc though i haven't had the forebearance to listen all the way through so its possible like the CD's it may settle down to normal after an indeterminate period (it is slightly more tolerable on DVD than when heard on CDs).
In both instances the audio signal is recognizable though is thoroughly unpleasant to listen to.

The machine is a Toshiba Qosmio G30 running windows XP with a TS-L802A optical drive (driver version: 5.1.2535.0 firmware TF30)

The problem affects audio playback only and only when using the optical drive. Audio and video files played off the hard drive work fine.

So far i have tried:
Different playback software - media monkey, VLC player and InterVideoWin DVD all respond in the same way.
Cleaning the lens with a cleaning disc as well as isopropyl alcohol.
Uninstalling and re booting the device driver.
Listening through headphones.
Turning Off "Digital CD playback" in hardware properties.

So far nothing has made a difference.
The problem began (as most of them seem to) spontaneously and from out of the blue.
I am about to try a firmware upgrade but wanted to get the advice of an expert first.

Does anyone have some advice they could give me on this?

Many Thanks in advance.
Marc

Edited by Mr Withacee, 28 June 2010 - 07:56 PM.

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
Before performing a firmware upgrade try to get info about what the upgrade actually does by way of improvements, adding new features etc. If your problem isn't mentioned there's no point doing it. Upgrading firmware for anything is not without risk so should only be undertaken if the upgrade actually claims to fix your particular problem.

If you get the upgrade direct from the drive manufacturer (the recommended option) and not from some third-party website, it should give a description of what it fixes.

Mr Withacee

Mr Withacee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Thanks Phillip. I haven't touched the firmware thus far for the very reasons you outlined. Unfortunately there are a slew of third party upgrades out there and not a lot from the actual manufacturer. They are for most part fairly scant on information. Meanwhile the problem persists in seemingly obstinate disregard for my desire for it to just fix itself and go away.