Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Boots to Windows login screen

• Please log in to reply

aosaben

aosaben

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
I have seen several people with the same question, but all just a little different than my issue.

I have a Dell Latitude D620. It appears to boot fine, but then stops short of letting you log in. The computer just freezes at the Blue login screen (with no login option). I have tried to boot in safe mode, but it gets as far as the login screen and stops as well.

A few months back there was a virus problem. I wiped the drive and reinstalled windows and it seemed to be working fine. Today it just stopped. The last time we got a virus, it was rather apparant, this time I don't know if that's the issue.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Angie

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I just had a computer that had a similar problem except it booted to the windows logo and sat there with the bar moving and never stopping. I ended up replacing the hard drive. Installing the sata drive in an enclosure i was able to find that the drive had corrupted sectors. A second scan of the drive found even more bad sectors. The drive was going bad quickly. A low level format did not help the drive.

SRX660

aosaben

aosaben

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Just wondering if anyone had any thoughts, or if I'm stuck?