Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Boot loop

• Please log in to reply

cabbagetreeNiki

cabbagetreeNiki

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
First of all my apologies if this is already covered somewhere else. I'm not computer literate and don't understand some of the posts already up. Second of all a huge thank you for anyone taking the time to read this.
I bought a secondhand lap top about 1 year ago from a local pawn dealer didn't think at the time about the importance of any discs etc. so all it came with was a bag and charger and I'm now stuck in a boot loop.
When it starts it automatically starts in Win xp Professional edition and shows;
This application has failed to start because winsrv was not found re-installing may fix this problem stop:c000135{unable to locate component}
If I intervene and switch it to boot in xp home (which I thought it was running)the message changes to Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt <windows root>\system 32\hal.dll please re-install a copy
An ex flatmate tried to fix it for me but it hasn't worked. My question is is there any way I can download the corrupted file onto my pc and transfer it to the laptop?
Thanks heaps to all.

Edited by cabbagetreeNiki, 28 June 2010 - 08:18 PM.

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
What is the hardware abstraction layer (HAL)?
http://www.windowsit...layer-hal-.aspx

One of the key design features of Windows is that it supports multiple hardware platforms without the need for complete different versions of the OS. This support is accomplished through the HAL, which is implemented via the kernel-mode hal.dll module. All Windows components access hardware via the HAL, and multiple HALs are available that are specific to different hardware platforms. The installed HAL is chosen when the OS is installed (hence, why you can't take a disk from one machine and run it in a machine of a different hardware platform). The available HALs are listed here:

• Standard PC (non-ACPI) - Hal.dll
  • MPS Uniprocessor PC - Halapic.dll
  • MPS Multiprocessor PC - Halmps.dll
  • Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) PC - Halacpi.dll
  • ACPI Uniprocessor PC - Halaacpi.dll
  • ACPI Multiprocessor PC - Halmacpi.dll
The installation process selects the correct HAL and copies it to the %systemroot%\system32 folder as hal.dll. The last three HALs in the list are the most common.

cabbagetreeNiki

cabbagetreeNiki

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Sorry for the delay in replying I was stuck in a G to G loop which involved the powers that be deciding I didn't exist and three new passwords.lol. Thanks for the explanation which I think I've understood but alas I don't know how to find out the HAL. Sorry. The laptop is an NEC VERSA P7100-1503DR_DC there are S/N, MID and P/N numbers underneath and it's running XP Home.I had hoped that I would be able to download the missing file on another computer and install it but if I've understood the explanation you posted that must be a bit like getting another copy of my house key and trying to open my neighbours house with it.

Edited by cabbagetreeNiki, 30 June 2010 - 06:09 AM.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
You would need (at least) the hall.dll from an identical machine.

Windows XP > Perform a Repair Installation
http://www.microsoft...ips/doug92.mspx

cabbagetreeNiki

cabbagetreeNiki

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Thanks for quick reply. OK, Trying to work out my options. Does this mean the laptop's terminal, would a computer repair shop be able to fix it at a reasonable price, should I get snarly with the pawn shop etc. I didn't get discs with it so I'm a bit stuck there as the first step on the link you posted was to insert the Windows XP Setup CD. Thanks again.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Being a laptop it may not have any disks with it. The recovery would be on a partition that may or may not be visible. Can you provide the make and model number of the laptop and then SpywareDr can check if there is a recovery partition on your laptop and proceed from there.

Edited by rshaffer61, 30 June 2010 - 08:17 AM.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

The laptop is an NEC VERSA P7100-1503DR_DC there are S/N, MID and P/N numbers underneath and it's running XP Home.

I don't see the "P7100" listed on Nec.com's site.

These are the model numbers they do have:

Docking Station 4000
Docking Station 6000
Ultralite Classic
Versa 2000C
Versa 2400
Versa 2500
Versa 2600
Versa 2730M
Versa 2735M
Versa 2735MT
Versa 2750MT
Versa 2755MT
Versa 2765MT
Versa 4000C
Versa 4200
Versa 5000
Versa 5030
Versa 550D
Versa 6000
Versa 6200NT
Versa 6280
Versa AX
Versa AX +
Versa DayLite (Model Begins With VUR)
Versa DayLite (Model Begins With VUS)
Versa DayLite E120 (Model Begins With VER)
Versa E
Versa FX
Versa FXi
Versa LitePad (Tablet PC)
Versa LX (Pentium-1)
Versa LX (Pentium-2)
Versa LX with AGP
Versa LXi
Versa LXi (16 MB video)
Versa M
Versa P
Versa S
Versa SX
Versa SXi
Versa TXi
Versa UltraLite (Model Begins With VUB)
Versa V/75
Versa VX
Versa VXi
Versa VXi (8 MB video)

I tried the "Versa P", clicked "Versa P Hardware Utilities Disk", and then saw:

Category: Application
File Name: L490AS3.EXE
Size: 914 MB
Version: 1.00.01
Posted: Oct 24, 1997
Operating System(s): DOS, Windows 3.x
Description: Versa P Hardware Utilities Disk.

That can't be right.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Versa P series HERE from NEC
Is there a sticker somewhere on the laptop with the original OS description?

Edited by rshaffer61, 30 June 2010 - 05:10 PM.

cabbagetreeNiki

cabbagetreeNiki

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

You would need (at least) the hall.dll from an identical machine.

Windows XP > Perform a Repair Installation
http://www.microsoft...ips/doug92.mspx

Thanks Spyware Dr. It's possible that the P7100 was made for the Australasian market I think they're 4-5 years old.How identical is identical? I've just done a search on a local internet trading site and some one is selling one for parts. (By this stage it's probably clear to all readers how little I actually understand about this). If I were to contact them could I copy it from them? Assuming it still turns on.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Did you check the link I provided for you in post 8?

Advertisements

cabbagetreeNiki

cabbagetreeNiki

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Versa P series HERE from NEC
Is there a sticker somewhere on the laptop with the original OS description?

Hi rshaffer61 Thanks for your suggestion.
Okay I think OS stands for Operating System and I'm assuming Windows Xp isn't enough information so here's a list of all the stuff written on the computer. Sorry that because so much of it is garble to me it may not be very helpful.
Underneath it says;
Model: MIT-RHEA-SDC
S/N: 630700490230
MID:1057359
ref: P/N:NN840222478
NEC VERSA P7100-1503DR_DC

There is a Windows XP Home ed. sticker. With what looks like a bar code and the number 7801120000 Then product key: Edit:removed product key Then what looks like a bar code and the number 00043-710-504-806 Then side on to all the rest but still on the sticker is X11-45374
I've taken out the battery and there are more numbers in there. Should I list them too or am I completely on the wrong track? Thanks.

Edited by dsenette, 01 July 2010 - 07:41 AM.

cabbagetreeNiki

cabbagetreeNiki

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Did you check the link I provided for you in post 8?

Hi rshaffer61. Thanks. I went on the link you posted but don't have a clue what I'm looking for and therefore where to look on the site. Driver? Server? Software?...Sorry I realise how thick I sound. Lets just say I'm otherwise abled. lol.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You would need a XP Home Edition installation disk to run a repair installation. This should hopefully fix the issue.
Borrow one if you can but it has to be XP Home Edition.
Once you have it then we can continue to do the repair.

cabbagetreeNiki

cabbagetreeNiki

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

You would need a XP Home Edition installation disk to run a repair installation. This should hopefully fix the issue.
Borrow one if you can but it has to be XP Home Edition.
Once you have it then we can continue to do the repair.

Thanks. I have some time off tomorrow so I think I'll go to the pawnbroker I bought it from and ask if they can help with Installation discs and now that you've mentioned them I've remembered the guy I purchased it from said something about partitions. I might try grovelling there. Will let you know how it goes. Nearly 1 am and freezing cold in my lounge so I'm giving up for now. Cheers.

cabbagetreeNiki

cabbagetreeNiki

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
OK. Thanks to everyone who's been helping with this. I decided to throw myself on the mercy of the pawn shop.
They were great, wiped everything (not much on there I cared about) and re installed it all again spent hours on it and did it for free even though it wasn't really their problem. I still don't know what caused the original problem but the flatmate who had tried to repair it had installed xp professional over top of xp home (we think in the partition), so the computer couldn't start in either. The laptop is usable again, but, I now have another problem, it no longer knows it's a laptop. I've found lots of sites for NEC and even some for Versa P7100 but don't know where to go to reinstall the laptop's own internal instruction manual. Not causing too many problems so far but it won't let me use the built in mouse pad doesn't seem to know it has one. The guy in the pawn shop says the 'drivers' are still there but cant 'reactivate' them. (My words not his.) Once again, I'd be grateful for any suggestions as to what to do. Thanks all.