Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Will a ATI radeon 9600 be compatible with my PC?

• Please log in to reply

Impulz

Impulz

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
Was just wondering..

Im about to purchase a new machine soon from this old now :tazz: PC, but am also keeping this computer as a second/experimental PC

A friend from work is selling his video card (ATI radeon 9600 series AGP(0x4150)
internal DAC (400mhz) 128 MB

I have Pentium 4 1.8 with 512 SDRAM
on an ASUS P4B-M motherboard.

I was just wondering if the video card my friend is selling will be compatible with my system or is it too old and will not be comaptible?

I currently have a Eagle GE-Force 2MX 400 64MB with TV out for the video card.

The main thing that concerns me is that the radeon which he is selling states AGP and ATI...could someone please explain me what those two terms exactly mean and wether my PC would have these?

(I have Everest and could look it up)

Much thnx

Pat

Advertisements

hudihoo

hudihoo

• PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
ati is the company that makes the card. AGP is the interface you need to hook it up. there are three types pci agp and pci-e
i don't know what you have depends on the motherboard. open your computer where you network card sound card and modem and vid card are now are pci. right above them if there is a brown slot to put something then it is compatible

peter7

peter7

• Pip
  • 3 posts
yeh, the motherboard should have a brown(ish) colour slot, which is the AGP slot. Open up your comp and have a ganer at your motherboard.

Posted Image

You see the brown slot to the left of the 5 PCI interfaces (light brown/creme), thats where the graphics card should slot into. If your motherboard has that, you'll be able to use the graphics card (Same card as im getting btw :tazz: )

good luck! you getting the plain 9600 or the 9600 pro?