Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Installed Avast Antivirus Update - Now Windows Won't Boot

• Please log in to reply

adifrank

adifrank

• PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
Hi. I have the latest version of Avast antivirus (FREE version) installed on my desktop computer, running Windows XP Pro (SP3). About 10 minutes ago I got an Avast pop-up message saying that there is an update for me to install. It wasn't an automatic update that just tells me it has been updated, but rather a manual update installation that required restarting my computer afterward. So I clicked INSTALL NOW and it started the installation of new Avast virus definitions. When it had completed it said I must restart my computer for the update to take affect. So I did. But my computer won't successfully reboot! It won't even get to the Windows XP page. It shows the Asus motherboard page (with option to enter bios, as it normally does when booting on), but then the screen goes blank and I see a flashing cursor in the left-top corner of the screen. Thats it! It is stuck there and won't continue. I tried forcing the computer off and then powering it on again - but same results.

What to do?? Any ideas??

(How come these things always happen at the worst possible timing.... ughfm!)

Advertisements

adifrank

adifrank

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
PLEASE IGNORE - Computer is up and running again. I have no idea what happened or how it suddenly started working again. After trying to reboot several times and failing, I tried yet once more and somehow this time it succeeded. Thanks and sorry for the false alarm.