Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Corrupted Word documents

• Please log in to reply

Wrinkly Pete

Wrinkly Pete

• PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
Help! Disaster!

Some "unknown" event occurred on my PC on or before 5/6/10 which has corrupted files written in both Word 2003 AND Word 2007 which are/were stored on a USB memory stick.
Some of these files represent YEARS of work I've now lost.
First thing that I thought was, good job I backed everything up. Wrong! The backed up files seem to be affected too, which seems VERY strange to me.
Some of these files are encrypted using "Encrypt on Click" software, but I have no reason to suspect that is the cause. I have 3 computers, 2 use Windows XP and one is Vista. Same problem exists on each computer.

Everything is ok with regards to viruses, malware, spyware etc; and all updates are up to date. Disk checks have been run and no errors found.

Could it be something else causing this?

Advertisements

AstraNut

AstraNut

• PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
First, did you do a full uninstall of those programs, use Windows' DiskCleaner utility and then re-install the programs and have the same problem?

Second, if the files on the USB stick are still in .doc extensions, have you tried the free OpenOffice Suite to see if it will open the files?

Third, have you tried right-clicking one of the files and see if you could at least open it with a text editor like NotePad? You'll lose formatting and images, but, if worse comes to worse, you'll have the text. Even a web editor will open the file if you force change the extension from .doc to .html. Or, at least my web editor will. :)

Might help:

How can I recover a corrupt document or template – and why did it become corrupt?
Troubleshooting damaged documents in Word for Windows
10+ ways to recover a corrupted Word document

Edited by AstraNut, 29 June 2010 - 08:46 AM.