Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Connecting laptop hard drive to desktop

• Please log in to reply

kingtaz

kingtaz

• PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
Hi

My laptop has recently broke and i wish to get the data from my laptop hard drive backed up to my desktop pc. the laptop drive i ahve is a 2.5" IDE one and my desktop is sata hard drive.

Are there any cables i can buy that will connect my laptop hard drive to my pc?

Thanks!

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The internal setup of your desktop has no bearing on your issue.
What you need to do is purchase a external 2.5 inch drive enclosure IDE that would connect to your desktop via a USB port on your desktop.
Check HERE at TigerDirect for the type i have found that should work with your setup.
You should be able to retrieve your data from that HD as long as the drive itself did not suffer any mechanical or electrical damage.

kingtaz

kingtaz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
thanks for the reply

Do you know if it is possible to buy a connection cable to use it as a hard drive in my desktop pc?

Thanks

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If it uses a standard IDE data cable and a regular molex connector then it should be able to be placed inside the system and used that way.
Possibly if you could get a digital picture of the connections on the back of the laptop drive I could tell you.

kingtaz

kingtaz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
thanks. i've bought a ide enclosure so that should do the trick. Thanks for your help!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
No problem and let us know how everything works out for you or if you have any other questions.