Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

connection problem

• Please log in to reply

John67832

John67832

• Pip
  • 2 posts
OK I've got a problem. Yesterday i talked to a geek squad agent at best buy about a problem with my asus laptop. It keeps randomly losing connection for 5 seconds and connecting again, which is just enough time to disconnect me from online games like WoW. He said I should probably update the drivers. I went to the device manager and right clicked Intel® WiFi Link 5100 AGN and clicked update drivers. It updated them in a few minutes. Then, however my laptop wouldn't connect at all to the internet. When i ran windows diagnostics, it said that my wireless cabability wasn't turned on. It was. I thought maybe those drivers needed to be updated too, but i can't find the device. Instead i downgraded the WiFi drivers back to what they were, but i still can't connect. It must be something that i did, but does anyone know how to turn the wireless capability on from inside the computer to make sure it isn't the switch. If anyone has a solutions that are a bit complicated, I'd prefer step by step directions. I have windows 7.

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
The wireless on/off switch is not inside the laptop. it's either on the keyboard or a toggle switch on the left side panel, with an indicator light to indicate whether it's on or off.

If on the keyboard, for Asus laptops it's usually done by holding down the key marked Fn then pressing F2.

Without knowing the actual model name & number I can't be more specific than that.

Edited by phillipcorcoran, 29 June 2010 - 09:28 AM.

John67832

John67832

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
thats not what i mean. I know where the switch is, its in the front of the laptop. Its in the on position, but diagnostics says its turned off. I'm wondering if there's away to turn wireless capability on from control panel or something to make sure the switch really doesn't work

Edited by John67832, 29 June 2010 - 09:43 AM.

drunkducki

drunkducki

• PipPip
  • 87 posts
do you have ! or ? or X in the device manager?