Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't boot my Win XP system after restoring backups

• Please log in to reply

JohnnieF

JohnnieF

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
OK, I can't believe this is happening. I have just done a backup and decided to test it by installing the backup on another drive and booting to it. It would not boot into windows. I do regular backups but have never had to restore one. I have been awefully lucky. So I grabbed one of my older backups and restored it to the same drive after wiping it. It will not boot either. In both cases if I boot to windows with my old drive and look at this drive all of the files are on the drive. The partition is primary and active.

I am using windows backup utility to create the backups and restore them. With other operating systems I could just transfer the system files to the partition (SYS) and it would be fine. But I can't find any way of doing this with XP. I tried the XP recovery console "FIXBOOT" but that did not work. I also read some where about using a floppy but I have no floppy drives, just a DVD that is bootable (P4 3 Gig).

Can someone tell me how to make these backups bootable.

Thanks
Johnnie

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
XP Backup is realistically only good for system data and what not. It's no good for copying the entire state of a drive.
What you really want is something like Norton Ghost. With this you can clone the entire drive from outside Windows to a Ghost file (on another disk for example), then if your main one falls over, replace it and Ghost it back.

With regards to SYS, those are DOS commands that only apply to Windows 95, 98 and ME. They have no relevance in XP or later.