Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Skype will not download

• Please log in to reply

Average Wizard101

Average Wizard101

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I have a Windows Vista Dell, with "STOPzilla" as my malware/internet security. I've been trying to download skype for months now, I'll get to the webpage to download it, click allow on the blue bar across the top of the screen, and it downloads to 100%. Then the download window closes out and nothing happens. I search for "Skype" on mycomputer and nothing shows up. I'm not sure if it's my security system, operating system or what, but I can't get anything to work. I've even tried to download ooVoo, and it does the same thing!!

I'm getting desperate here and really need some help! : /

Advertisements

ZaRMan

ZaRMan

• PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
I think you may have downloaded to a non-indexed location, so if you were searching from the start menu, it most likely would not appear. Configure your internet browser to download the setup file to a location you can find easily (like my documents or desktop) try running it now. If it doesn't work, please reply back. Hope this helped :)

Average Wizard101

Average Wizard101

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Yea, I've already tried saving it to my desktop or a file etc. Recently I've tried downloading msn or yahoo messenger, neither of those will load either. My luck, huh? : P

ZaRMan

ZaRMan

• PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
can you please name all the antivirus/firewall/internet security etc. programs you are using?

Average Wizard101

Average Wizard101

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
STOPzilla. It says it has spyware, pop up protection and siteguard protection enabled at all times? I have Internet Explorer 8 for my web browser. I'm not sure if that's the answer you were looking for hahaa

ZaRMan

ZaRMan

• PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
does the setup file appear on your computer at all, or is it just not there?

Average Wizard101

Average Wizard101

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
After it "downloads" it prompts the setup, so I click run, then it all disappears, and does not appear anywhere on my computer.

ZaRMan

ZaRMan

• PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
Have you tried right clicking on the setup and click "Run as Administrator"

Average Wizard101

Average Wizard101

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Yep. Hahaa I'm pretty sure I have tried every way known to man kind : P

ZaRMan

ZaRMan

• PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
How about downloading the setup from another computer, transferring via USB and then running it?

Average Wizard101

Average Wizard101

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I tried to put it on a USB drive, but I don't think it copied right. How do you get the whole program on the drive?

ZaRMan

ZaRMan

• PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
It doesn't exactly work if you copy all of the program files over (in most cases) You can try to put all the files in C:/Program Files (x64 if it is a 64-bit OS) and try running in the folder some thing called Skype.exe or something like that, otherwise, download from another computer, don't run the install though, copy the setup file to your computer, and then run it