Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Ethernet Problems

• Please log in to reply

liefman360

liefman360

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
Hello I am having problems with my ethernet port on my HP Pavilion a1203w. The computer is all up to date but when i plug the cable into the ethernet port my lights dont come on and there is no activity. I cannot connect to the internet even though I am on a laptop with the same cable providing my internet =/. Any suggestions :)

Edited by liefman360, 29 June 2010 - 02:50 PM.

Advertisements

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
A couple of possiblities:

1- You have integrated Ethernet and it is set to Disable in your Bios.
2- You have no driver install for your Ethernet controller.
3- Your firewall is blocking access to your Browser (IE, Firefox ect)

Check in your Device Manager to see if your Ethernet controller is there and functionning (no yellow exclamation mark beside).

liefman360

liefman360

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Yea I checked the device manager everything there is good. As far as the bios that sounds like it could def. be the problem how do I go about changing those settings from the startup? Thanks for the help :)

liefman360

liefman360

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
And the firewall is enabled but I have tried disabling it as well with no luck.

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
If you see your Ethernet Controller in device manager then it is enable in your Bios.

If you are using the XP firewall then go in Control panel 1 Security Center then choose the firewall and Exceptions by default your browser should not be there but if you see it and it is not check then put a check to it.

Also check in Control Panel / Network Connections & Internet choose Network Connections and right click on your Ethernet controller if you see it then choose Properties and see if the everything is check (specially Internet Protocol TCP/IP)

liefman360

liefman360

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Ok I did not see the browser under the exceptions in the firewall settings. In the control pannel under Network connections and in properties all of my boxes are checked. This computer is driving Me Mad!!!!!! thank you so much for your help.

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
When you right click on your Network Controller you have different options, one is Status (this will tell you if your card is receiving and sending packets) then you have the one Repair you can try that to see if this will help.

Have you tried other Internet programs (not your browsers like IE or Firefox) to see if you can access the internet. Programs like Live Messenegr, Yahoo ect that do not require you to use your browser.

What happens when you want to open your browser, what is the exact message you get?

liefman360

liefman360

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Ok I will give that a try I have a couple of errands to run I will be back in a bit to try it thanks again for all your help.!!!!

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
if you plug in an ethernet cable to the NIC port and NONE of the lights come on, then there's a good chance that the NIC itself is broken (physically). if you've got any free PCI ports in the computer you can add a PCI NIC card (for cheap) or you can get a USB NIC and use that.

liefman360

liefman360

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Well I thought the same thing as well about having to put a whole new port in. But last week and before then it has been working fine. As we all know things like that can eaisly break and need to be replaced I am just trying to do everything that I can to see if I can fix it instead of having to pay for a new port or anything else. Thanks for all the help. Alzeimer let me get that information for you. Thanks again.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well, feel free to try whatever you like. typically when the activity (or at least the "hey something's plugged in!") lights don't come on, it's not a software issue

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
dsenette as a point I have seen network card that you had to hold and push the network cable in for it to work (the pins inside were damage). If your activity is at zero then it is a very good possibility that it has done its time.

liefman360

liefman360

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Ok well thank you both very much for all the help I guess if anyone has any other ideas or if either of you have any suggestions that would be great. I will probably end up having to replace it but if you hear of anything or think of aything that would be awsome. Thank you both very very much. :)